• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie MTS conversion

Reaction score
When I downloaded the movie files (.MTS) from Sony camera, iMovie transfered them to Quicktime movie files at the same time. Does anyone know what kind of quality the files got transfer to? Are there any options for me to choose for best quality?

Right now I use only iMovie for editing.

Thanks,

Blu

C

chas_m

The free MPEG Streamclip should be able to convert them to the (lossless) Apple Intermediate Codec for editing. It might require the $20 Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component to work.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
The free MPEG Streamclip should be able to convert them to the (lossless) Apple Intermediate Codec for editing. It might require the $20 Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component to work.

I am staying away from AIC because it doesn't work for me. What I want to do is edit the MTS movie file from Sony in Mac at the FULL resolution. I use iSky to convert the files OK but iMovie won't let me Import the file at the full sizes. Only smaller files. Would FCP or Premier work? I have asked this question in many places but no luck. I think it's a top secret.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
iMovie supports AIC, AIC is limited to 1440x1080 or 720p30. iMovie will not support the raw (highly compressed) mts files.

FCP will import at pretty much any resolution as it supports a LOT more codecs - the mts files will need to be transcoded (usually handled when the camera is connected and log and transfer is performed - this may be different in fcpx as I still use FCP6 and FCP7) - if you've extracted the mts files out of the avchd structure (never do this in the future :) ) you'll have to transcode them yourself then import into FCP. MPEGStreamClip may work, but it fails on quite a few mts I've tried to throw at it in the past (but since it's free, it's worth trying).

Reaction score
What I want to do is edit the MTS movie file from Sony in Mac at the FULL resolution. Would FCP or Premier work? I have asked this question in many places but no luck. I think it's a top secret.
It's no secret that Premiere Pro CS5/CS5.5 works natively with a file like this. In other NLEs (like FCP), you would have to transcode prior to working on it. In Premiere Pro, just import the file and start working. Good luck.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
Thank You all. Great Info.

I'm learning as fast as I possibly could. I'm doing it as I go.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
It's no secret that Premiere Pro CS5/CS5.5 works natively with a file like this. In other NLEs (like FCP), you would have to transcode prior to working on it. In Premiere Pro, just import the file and start working. Good luck.

Would this work with Premiere Elements? I'm referring to the PE 10 for Mac. If I get one. Until I'm better at it then I will get the Pro.

As for the FCP, if I transcode to HD mov file, would quality still be the same?

Thx.,

Blu

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
iMovie supports AIC, AIC is limited to 1440x1080 or 720p30. iMovie will not support the raw (highly compressed) mts files.

FCP will import at pretty much any resolution as it supports a LOT more codecs - the mts files will need to be transcoded (usually handled when the camera is connected and log and transfer is performed - this may be different in fcpx as I still use FCP6 and FCP7) - if you've extracted the mts files out of the avchd structure (never do this in the future :) ) you'll have to transcode them yourself then import into FCP. MPEGStreamClip may work, but it fails on quite a few mts I've tried to throw at it in the past (but since it's free, it's worth trying).

Please explain, extracting the MTS file out of avchd? I set the camera at avchd and record in MTS file. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,

Blu

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
I also read an old post that referred to the MTS file. He said, i7 quad core is necessary when working with MTS files. I'm using i5 dual core and probably going to be stuck with this for a while unless the economy comes out of a Coma.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score

Which is better, mts or mpeg?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I also read an old post that referred to the MTS file. He said, i7 quad core is necessary when working with MTS files. I'm using i5 dual core and probably going to be stuck with this for a while unless the economy comes out of a Coma.

Hmmm...I work with MTS files on a c2d no problem...From a Panasonic AVCHD....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4,1 4x2.66, 8gb, HD7950, 1.1TB Fusion (Sam840 SSD & 1TB Cav Black), 2x1TB Cav Black 2TB Cav Green
Using the right program you can edit AVCHD with a G5, I had to do that until I got my Mac Pro. It's slow, but an i7 is hardly necessary....

In general, the .mts file is going to be a better quality than an mpeg due to the transcoding needed to get the mpeg, but .mts isn't a traditionally editable format for most users. I generally created AIC files from my Vixia's footage offlne so I could move video in and out of FCP quickly using elderly equipment rather than waiting for FC to import at it's speed. FCPX looks to remove that altogether, another month and I'll have scraped up enough cash to know for sure ;-)

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
So far, I've now got great result using the PE10 with my old i5 2core. Takes a little time to render and if the movie are long, the monitor playback is a little annoying but other than that everything is exactly what I was looking for.

I use the mts file that I download from the camera, edit, add sounds and render in to a full 1080 or 720 with amazing quality.

Thank You for all your help.

Happy Camper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.