Received 4 Defective Macbook Pros 2011. Do they have that many quality issues?

Reaction score
I purchased my first Macbook Pro 15" in July right when Lion was released. It's my first Mac after having over 10 PCs. I customized with 500gb/7200rpm and8gb ram. And then my Mac drama began and is still going on now.

MBP #1 (purchase #1 late July) - DVD did not work. Froze a few times. Saw lots of beach ball dancing. Black screen of death and did not come back on for a day. To top that off, apple care would not help me because they did not have record of my serial number. (purchased directly from apple.com only days ago) I spent the first few days with my first MBP reading apple discussion board and mac forums to learn to fix problems with my new $2k computer. After several attempts and many hours, I was told by apple care supervisor they missed a batch of orders which did not get properly transfer to apple care. I was very new to apple computers and did not want to deal with so many problems for new computer. I did not want to wait for replacement (they ship out after receiving your return) so I purchased a second MBP.

MBP #2 (purchase #2 early August) - Software worked fine. The trackpad was sluggish and sometimes got stuck. I felt this right away after powering on first time. After a long wait (it takes a while to get through to apple care), I finally got a voice at apple care and we tried a few things (reset hardware, reset p rails?, etc.), I thought the trackpad was fixed. I surfed the net and then the scroll acted up and the cursor kept freezing. Annoying. It drove me nuts. I had to return it.

MBP #3 (purchase #3 early September) - This one arrived dirty with some small scratches, and there was black finger prints and smudges on it. One thing that bothered me was the top lid is not flushed with the bottom piece. It’s slightly flapping over on the top left side. But otherwise, the computer works with no problems. I called apple right after opening the box and after 2 hours (they kept transferring me between apple care and sales support), I finally got a supervisor. He was nice enough to listen to my situation. I asked him frankly if he thought I should just keep MBP #3 after all the debacle (at this point, the top lid hanging over the bottom was minor to me) and he thought I should go for replacement because I purchased new MBP and the top lid should flush perfectly with the bottom. He suggested that I purchase the off the shelf versus custom to avoid problems but I explained that I wanted the faster hardrive and multitasking speed. And he contacted their sales support to coordinate a replacement. It took an hour but he did call me back and arranged the replacement.

MBP #4 (replacement) - This came a few days ago. Physically, this MBP has no flaws. Top and bottom piece flushed perfectly. I noticed when I used the trackpad, I felt like there were tiny grains of sand on my fingertip. I washed my hands thoroughly. Trackpad still felt different than previous MBP so I cleaned it according to apple forum suggestions. Computer worked fine...until...I surfed on it for a few hours and my finger tips started to tingle and feel numb and super sensitive at the same time. After a few more hours, my hands felt funny and slightly numb. The next day, my fingertips still felt slightly numb and sore at the same time. I searched up the mac forums and changed the power plug to the 3 prong. It got better but still felt tingly. Weird thing was that it was doing this even on battery. I called apple care and we did some hardware test and resets...didn't change. He scheduled an appt with Apple technician at the Apple store for next morning. Apple technician did some test and said he couldn't feel anything on the trackpad. I explained that I felt this after a couple of hours of use. Between the tingling on my fingertips and numbness on my palms (I tend to rest my palms on the mbp when i type), I am feeling uneasy about keeping this one.

So within one and a half months, I have been through 4 MBPs and came to the conclusion they all have problems. Apple customer service is okay (it takes 20-30 minutes just to get a live voice and then they tell you to speak with apple care first before they can issue return authorization). The apple care, sales support, case number issuing dept, and customer support transfer you between depts like they don't know who actually handles returns. A few of the reps I spoke with had no idea why I was being transferred to them. At this point as you can imagine, I have spent many hours on the phone with apple as well as in store. I really like the MBP but not sure how much more I can take. I never return anything and don't like dealing with hassles. I have been through over 10 PCs (half the price) and they never had problems when I first got them. Will be talking today to apple about MBP #4 again. Any thoughts? Please, any advice would be much appreciated. I am stuck because I really have become an Apple fan but feel that for $2500, I should get new computer without problems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles with the MBP purchase(s), but I can assure you from personal experience and the experience of others here that Apple will make it good. I know it may be difficult to maintain patience at this point but my advice is stick with it. If in the end if you're still not satisfied with the MBP or if it's not up to par, ask Apple to give you a refund.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I ordered one shortly after the 2011 models were announced. I do have one weird issue that crops up from time-to-time, the display gets some (usually) minor distortion. Flex the display a bit and it's immediately gone. It hasn't done it in about a month, but still disconcerting.

Quality problems can happen in a product at any price point. No manufacturer is immune to defects. As chscag mentioned, you just have to work through the system to have your issue remedied. I don't think it's an issue specific to the model, just a rather unusual run of bad luck.

C

chas_m

Look up -- is there a black cloud following you around? :)

But seriously, I'm sorry to hear of the quality problems. You are MOST DEFINITELY having a out-of-the-ordinary experience, but the truth is that any mass-manufactured product -- from any large company -- has a certain number of defective ones. The odds are against the experience you've had but QC only goes so far when you're selling Macs faster than you can actually make them.

As was stated above, Apple will look after you. Document everything and keep a cordial tone and you'll get a near-perfect one sooner or later.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and support. Through all my problems with my new MBPs, other Mac owners have been super helpful. The forums really helped me fix a lot of problems when apple care was not available.

I really do like the MBP a lot. I will speak with apple tomorrow. Part of me contemplated keeping MBP #4 but my hubby doesn't want me to risk using it. He thinks there's a battery leak or electrical issue. He used it for a few hours and felt it in his finger tips and along his arm.

Hopefully MBP #5 will be the winner. Fingers and toes crossed! I just want a new MBP without problems and major physical defects. As chas_m says, just near perfect is fine.

OP
G
Reaction score
cwa107 - did you take your MBP to apple technician to see if they could fix or repair? That seems like it would be an annoying problem. It's funny that the first MBP I got, I didn't do any testing. After I learned my lesson, I seriously have my own set of test for new MBP. It's like every problem possible is happening to me on my first Mac. Geez. Hopefully Apple will try to make this right. I have a feeling the ultimate solution will be for me to return MBP #4 and purchase MBP #5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As was stated above, Apple will look after you. Document everything and keep a cordial tone and you'll get a near-perfect one sooner or later.

After all the crap the OP has been through, i would be hoping for a perfect Mac not near-perfect ;)

@OP sorry to hear about all the problems, but as stated above  will do good for you. As Chas stated the tone of your voice will go a long way in getting what you want.
Good luck and keep us posted.

EDIT : you do know that you can upgrade your MBP cheaper buy far than getting it done by . Places like OWC are all Mac and there customer service is as good as . If you get the base model, you could upgrade the RAM and Drive yourself for probably less than $200
Just a though :)

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107 - did you take your MBP to apple technician to see if they could fix or repair? That seems like it would be an annoying problem. It's funny that the first MBP I got, I didn't do any testing. After I learned my lesson, I seriously have my own set of test for new MBP. It's like every problem possible is happening to me on my first Mac. Geez. Hopefully Apple will try to make this right. I have a feeling the ultimate solution will be for me to return MBP #4 and purchase MBP #5.

No, but I intend to if it's consistently repeatable. Unfortunately, it happens so rarely, I never know when it's going to crop up. And knowing how my local Genius Bar operates, they're not going to take my word for it - even though I've forgotten more about computers than those guys will ever know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I have a 6 year old MBP that on occasions gives me that little tingly feeling in my fingertips, but not consistant like it has been for you. I'd say I've felt it probably 10 times out of 6 year period. I can also feel it on the sides of the trackpad as well, if I rest my hand down on it or slide my hand across, it feels a bit tingly. I've always ignored it.

OP
G
Reaction score
cwa107 - the next time it happens, you should record it so you have video to show the apple geniuses. Sometimes you get the same annoying problem creeping up but it just doesn't happen when you need it to. Hope they take care of that for you. The Apple supervisor that helped me was out this weekend so I am going to try calling him tomorrow. I just don't want to explain the situation to a new person. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I don't think the tingly feel you are getting with the trackpad is electrical as the trackpad is made of glass and as such wouldn't conduct electricity. My thoughts are it could be some form of reaction to the finish they apply to the trackpad and could be why the guy at the genius bar could not feel it. You also mention it happens after prolonged use of say 2 hours or more which supports this, again something electrical would be felt immediately. In any case I'm sure Apple will be prepared to swap it as their customer service is rather excellent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks for the welcome and support. Through all my problems with my new MBPs, other Mac owners have been super helpful. The forums really helped me fix a lot of problems when apple care was not available.

I really do like the MBP a lot. I will speak with apple tomorrow. Part of me contemplated keeping MBP #4 but my hubby doesn't want me to risk using it. He thinks there's a battery leak or electrical issue. He used it for a few hours and felt it in his finger tips and along his arm.

Hopefully MBP #5 will be the winner. Fingers and toes crossed! I just want a new MBP without problems and major physical defects. As chas_m says, just near perfect is fine.
Hi, it's possible that some of the phenomena that you describe could be electrostatic, certainly this can happen after prolonged use and if you are wearing certain footwear on certain floor-coverings. Substances such as glass and plastic whilst not conductive are ideal for creating and holding a charge.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
this is horrible

Acer, Dell, Gateway, and the list goes on. All have issues. Check support forums for them.

I am a computer tech and see it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I would attribute the tingling to numbness. One of the things I don't like about the MBP is the sharp edge of the aluminum where you rest your hand.

Maybe YOU need to be taken in for service. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Update for everyone. So here goes my next drama. Help please!!! :)

I called the Apple supervisor and waited for call back. It took almost a week and we went through the turn of events with Mac 4. I was very nice and explained that I had tried Apple Care and took it to the Apple store to see if there is any thing they could do to fix the shock coming from the computer. They did standard hardware test which came out clean. I suspect it's that slight charge coming from the inside and going through. Anyways after a few hours, he said he would speak with an Apple engineer. He did call me back within few hours and said the engineers are interested in getting the computer back and reviewing the causes. Apple seemed to be aware of the small electrical discharge issue and want to get into the bottom of it. They wanted me to send it in (and then I lost my cool). I stated that I purchased a new Macbook Pro and don't want to deal with these problems. Let's not forget how many I had already gone through. Then the Apple supervisor told me I had to call Apple Support to talk to them about getting return RMA and label. This part annoyed me. I am talking to an Apple supervisor who is neither Apple Care or Apple Support? His job is to listen and direct me somewhere else? He could have saved me the few hours and just said call Apple Support at another number to return. Geez. I did call Applu Support and it took an hour but I did get the RMA and label to return.

Which takes me now to Mac #5 (yup). Upon getting return authorization on Mac #4, I made my 4th purchase for Mac #5. It arrived dirty and deshuffled in box (which is fine at this point), but there was a few noticeable hair line scratches on top lid and the power button is slightly sunk and not flushed. The only reason I ordered online is for the customized hard drive and RAM upgrades. Otherwise, I would purchase at Apple store and open to inspect before I even leave the store. Aside from the exterior imperfections, the color profile seems to be dimmer and a little reddish and blueish tint compared to the bright yellowish tint of the previous MBPs. Any thoughts on this?

I have decided to accept the fate of not having perfect MBP. It's taking too much time and while I believe Apple would continue to go to certain lengths to appease me, I don't have confidence anymore in Apple products. While I still think it's currently the best in the market, I am disappointed and my confidence has dwindled. We all know Apple/Mac obsessed people love design and perfection. I mean look at ebay with the Apple replacement parts (lids, screens, button pan, etc.) and protectors for anything Apple, it's crazy that people want to keep their old MBPs looking perfect. And here I am trying to get a NEW MBP that has no imperfections and is free of hardware problems.

My current dilemma, should I keep Mac #4 which is physically perfect (no scratches, power button flushed, and trackpad works) but gives off some small charge. Or keep Mac #5 which has two small (but noticeable from 3 ft away) hairline scratches (I was able to polish and remove a lot of the scratches!), slightly sunken power button, and dimmer blue/reddish color profile? Scratches are not a big deal to me at this point. Just worried about the sunken power button and dim screen. It's not dim per se but just dim compared to Mac #4.

Sorry for the long post. This is the only outlet for me to vent. I am beyond frustrated and after everything, I am just paranoid the power button will sink down and bug me later. Or I will get extreme carpal tunnel in my arms from daily electrical charge and tingling of my fingertips. Please help me choose. Many thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Really, it's up to you. It sounds like this one's all cosmetic. My macbooks end up covered in stickers anyway. We're not all obsessed ;)

I really do understand being seriously irritated with the series of issues you've had though.

OP
G
Reaction score
I would attribute the tingling to numbness. One of the things I don't like about the MBP is the sharp edge of the aluminum where you rest your hand.

Maybe YOU need to be taken in for service. :)

I actually type with my full hand on the keyboard and lean my palms on the palm rest area. I rarely lean on the edge since it is sharp and does cause my hands to go thumb. I know what you mean but when I got the tingling sensation and numbness in my hands, that was without any leaning on the edge. I noticed recently my hands have been acting up and cramping, but I think that has to do with prolong use of the multitouch MBP trackpad itself. It seems to subside when I go back to my external mouse.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you tried calibrating the display on MBP #5? See if that makes that slight color shift disappear.

Also I doubt that power button is going to be an Issue.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which takes me now to Mac #5 (yup). Upon getting return authorization on Mac #4, I made my 4th purchase for Mac #5. It arrived dirty and deshuffled in box (which is fine at this point), but there was a few noticeable hair line scratches on top lid and the power button is slightly sunk and not flushed. The only reason I ordered online is for the customized hard drive and RAM upgrades. Otherwise, I would purchase at Apple store and open to inspect before I even leave the store. Aside from the exterior imperfections, the color profile seems to be dimmer and a little reddish and blueish tint compared to the bright yellowish tint of the previous MBPs. Any thoughts on this?

Honestly, I don't get it. You must have the worst luck in the world.

If it's not perfect, send it back. Period. Actually, walk it into an Apple Store, have them swap the upgraded components into a model you've been able to inspect in person.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.