Could someone hack and access my webcam and microphone?

Reaction score
Could someone hack and access my webcam and microphone?

I am worried if someone could hack and access my webcam and microphone anytime he/she wants. I am using a MacBook Pro and I know that the green light is supposed to be turned on when the webcam is being used. However, I've heard that there are hackers that can turn off the green light, so that I don't know it is being used.

I hope you can help me. Thanks very much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Answer some questions for us:

Are you on a network?

Do you have sharing turned on?

Do you use a router?

Is your firewall turned on?

OP
P
Reaction score
1. No, I'm not on a network.
2. What's sharing? Where do you turn this on?
3. By now, I'm using Ethernet cable. But before I started using it, I used to use a router.
4. My firewall is now turned on, but I has been turned off for more than a year.

Thanks so much.

C

chas_m

The short answer is "no," at least if we're talking remote access.

But just to assure yourself, go here: Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Privacy Settings Panel

Now, if you've GIVEN someone access to your account and your password is guessable, then it's CONCEIVABLE that such a thing could happen ... but "highly unlikely" is really too weak a term for the possibility unless you've recently dumped a world-class computer genius who installed your system, knows everything about you and is obsessive and vindictive with a lot of time on his or her hands.

And if that's the case, you really have a lot more to worry about than your webcam.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.