no iphoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
build 9L31a,version 10.5.8,processor 2.4GHz,memory 4GB 667MHzDDr2,SDRAM,Intel Core 2 Duo
Is there any way I can upload photos without iphoto? I bought my Macbook Pro used I wish I would have bought it from apple

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Is there any way I can upload photos without iphoto? I bought my Macbook Pro used I wish I would have bought it from apple

You can try Picasa
Picasa 3: Free download from Google

You could also upgrade to Snow Leopard for $30 and then purchase iPhoto from the APP Store for $15.
All thus assumes you don't have your system disks.

If you don't, I would strongly advise getting the Snow Leopard OS disks.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
build 9L31a,version 10.5.8,processor 2.4GHz,memory 4GB 667MHzDDr2,SDRAM,Intel Core 2 Duo
thanks i think I will do that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
You can use Image Capture - find it under applications. It's a native App on Mac and can be used to control your camera, scanner and ipod (any imaging provided it's attached to you mac) and is much more powerful IMHO. This is also where you can control default behaviour when a device is attached (and turned on) When interfaces provided are taking away too many of my choices (or sometimes I just want to see what something does before the interface brainwashes me into thinking it's the only way, I use Image capture. Think of it as Disk Utility for your Camera ;) No 3rd party apps necessary unless you deleted it or something.

"iPhoto is convenient way to download your photos to your mac, not to mention the default. However many users prefer to download pictures and movies to a folder. Mac has a wonderful utility called Image Capture which will download your photos, movies, and music. Which will allow you to manage your media “the old fashioned way”, I find this handy because I prefer to add images into iPhoto manually while having a backup or originals in one location." Mac 101 | Media: Downloading Pictures and Movies with Image Capture

Unlike most camera utilities, it sees your camera as a 'mass storage device' and I think from here you can use it rather than using itunes also :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you I do use image capture I just have no idea how to upload pictures to a web site
I will go to Mac 101 and read hopefully I can wrap my brain around it. I am thankful for this site and all you smart peoples help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

I just copy to a folder without going near iPhoto. If you want iPhoto though it's only a few pounds from the App Store.

C

chas_m

And you're SURE you don't have iPhoto *at all*? That seems awfully unusual.

I'm guessing by your post that you also don't have the original restore discs for that machine (you could reinstall iPhoto from there). You may want to contact Apple, they will mail you a replacement set for a small fee.

Or as has been suggested you may just want to move to Snow Leopard, $30 if you can find a copy, and then buy iPhoto on its own for $15 (these are US/CA prices, YMMV).

While Picasa et al are not without their charms, iPhoto is to my way of thinking the best overall consumer photo-organizer and light-duty editor combo program on the market. There is SO MUCH you can do with it, particularly once you grok the idea of letting the computer handle the organization (this also applies to iTunes). For many people, no external photo editor is even necessary (though there are many REALLY good ones for the Mac).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all so much. I went ahead and ordered Snow Leopard, and I am reading up on my mac at the apple website. WOW there is a lot I don't have a clue about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
WOW there is a lot I don't have a clue about.

Don't worry! I was in exactly the same boat a couple of years back. In no time at all you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about and you'll never be able to imagine ever going back to using Windows. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question and that there are loads of people on here to help.

Reaction score
iPhoto is awesome. It's on my mac. I can't wait for it to come out as an app for my iPhone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.