iTunes library external question:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
I'm setting up my wife's MB Air, and the entire music library exists on an external drive. How do I set this up? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
How do you set what up?

I suggest Googling these subjects, depending on which one you're trying to achieve.

How to use an iTunes library on an external drive.

How to transfer an iTunes library to your Mac.

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you set what up?

I suggest Googling these subjects, depending on which one you're trying to achieve.

How to use an iTunes library on an external drive.

How to transfer an iTunes library to your Mac.

I've done so. Not really telling me what I need. Time to have my Mac-Pro neighbor over! :Cool:

C

chas_m

I'm not understanding what the problem is. Open iTunes, point it to the external drive in preferences, done. No "setting up."

Reaction score
Watching here and trying to learn..when I get to preferences in iTunes,how do I nominate the external drive.I know I know..probably a duh moment

C

chas_m

As they say in driving directions, "if you're already in preferences, you've gone too far."

Sorry, I should have clarified this in my last post.

1. Open iTunes *holding down the option key*. It's the one NEXT to the "Apple/Command/SquigglyThing" key next to the spacebar. Also known in the PC world as the ALT key.

2. Instead of launching iTunes will ask you to choose or create a library. Select choose, then navigate to the library you want to use. Click OK.

That should be it. Future launches of iTunes will automatically use that library as the default unless a) you change it or b) the drive is not mounted. Then you'll be asked to find a library for iTunes, or it will use the one on your boot drive if one is already there.

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Chas, thanks. While I have not tried your solution yet, this appears to be the answer I sought, thanks. I simply want my my wife's Air to utilize the music library I have have on an external, as my music library is well above 100GB, and the Air is a mre 64GB, so hosting the majority of media externally is the only viable solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.