Bootcamp Question? (Lion + Win7 64bit)

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just have a quick question regarding using bootcamp to install Win7 Home 64 bit on my Macbook Pro (Lion OS).

I need to install Windows for college, so I have been checking out bootcamp tutorial sites to get some insight on how to go about it first. The one thing that is confusing me is the part where you need to insert the OSX disks after the Windows install in order to get the drivers and things.

Since Lion is a digital download, there is no disk available for it. I have my Snow Leopard disks, but I'm assuming that's irrelevant now that I have Lion. So, when I get to that portion of the bootcamp process, what do I do?

Also, I figure since I need Windows for school I might as well game on that portion of it, so what partition size would be adequate for gaming? (I have a like 450+gb of free space left on my Mac HD)

Thanks for the help!

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay thank you both, I'll check both of those options out!!

edit: Unfortunately on the link you sent me Harry, it says that that method will not work for me since I already have Lion installed on my Mac =(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It'll work. Hold the option key down, then click on the Purchases tab. Continue to hold the option key down until all your purchases populate and Lion will once again have a download button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As I said download it again and then run as per the link.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey guys I just have a quick question, I did go on the App Store and hold down options while clicking "purchased," and the option for "install" did become available again. However, I was just wondering what kind of DVD I need in order to burn it?

Is it single layer with at least 7gb of storage space?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A single layer normal sized DVD is all you need. Or a flash drive of at least 6 GB.

OP
G
Reaction score
A single layer normal sized DVD is all you need. Or a flash drive of at least 6 GB.

Thank you, I bought some yesterday and just burned my copy and it went very smoothly :)

I just have one more question (hopefully ;) ): if I want to play games on the Window's partition, how big of a partition should I make? I'm not going to fill it to the brim with games, but mainly something like Starcraft II, Diablo III (when it comes out) and maybe a f2p game like League of Legends.

I have 437.6GB free on my Mac HD, any suggestions?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Allow plenty of room for the Windows partition. It's a royal pain to expand that partition after the fact and it can only be realistically done with special software.

Those games you mentioned are going to eat up disk space and that's not taking into account other programs that you'll run. And, Windows 7 x 64 is a disk hog. I would create a Windows partition of at least 100 GB, maybe more depending on how much space you're willing to give up on the OS X side.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay great that sounds good, I am willing to give about 100-150gb of space to the Windows side just because I've had this computer for about 2 years now and have only used about 61gb in total =P And especially since I'll be uninstalling Sc2 on the OSX side which will free up some more space there.

Just because you mentioned it, the Windows copy that I got off of Ebay has both 64 and 32 bit version disks, would I be better off running the 32 instead of the 64 for any reason at all?

Thanks again for all your help =)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version of Windows 7 will only use approximately 3.6 GB of your system memory regardless of how much you have installed. The 64 bit version will use all the memory you have, and can also run 32 bit Windows programs natively without a problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay awesome, thanks a ton for all your help! I'm gonna go through with the install tomorrow, crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
So I will be installing later today, and I just thought of something kind of silly.....I made the Lion disk from the specified instructions in the link above, but when I actually insert the disk after windows is installed, will the computer just know what to do, or do I go into the disk and activate something specifically?

UPDATE: So I installed Windows and everything went fine, I'm just a little confused. The Bootcamp assistant, before installing Windows, had me burn a CD of Window's drivers, and I inserted this CD in once Windows was installed. Does that mean that the OS disk is irrelevant because that other disk did what it usually does? Or do I still need the OS disk and install those things too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Some times you need to download the separate drivers and burn to a CD,.other times the install disc. With two installs of Windows 7 Ultimate running one of each. Wh? Can't help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.