MacMini won't boot, stuck on the Apple logo

Reaction score
Hi,

I suddenly had an issue with my Mac Mini. It started to take long seconds, even minutes, to load a software (with the round cursor turning). So I decided to restart it but, how surprise, it got stuck on a blue screen. A few more try to shut down and start again, including with the original install DVD, but it's now stuck on the screen with the Apple logo on white background...

Here is what I have done so far:
- removed all the stuff connected to it, there is only the external screen left (mouse and keyboard are wireless).

- tried to start it in safe mode, but nothing happens, it's still stuck on the same Apple screen

- tried to start with the original install DVD, not better (DVD is actually now stuck in the Mini, I can't get it out...)

- tried to start it with Command-S, and a Read Error was displayed. See attached picture of the whole text displayed.

Any idea what this means?
Thanks a lot for your help!

photo.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a wired keyboard and mouse that you can use? When confronted with boot problems it's best to use a wired keyboard and mouse\trackpad. If you have a wired keyboard, try booting with the Option key held down. If that doesn't work, you might try removing the hard drive from the Mini to see if it will boot from the DVD.

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't have a wired keyboard or mouse unfortunately. But I know they work because I can boot the Mini in safe mode (holding Shift) and when I do it, instead of being stuck on the Apple logo, the screen gets stuck on a blue screen where I can move my mouse.

Also, I've discovered I can access the shared folders on my Mini from my MacBook on the network. Screen share doesn't work though, only the finder view of the shared folders...

I was wondering if this could be an issue with the RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And try zapping the PRAM holding down Command Option P and R keys all at the same time after the chime and keep held down until you hear a third chime. The problem with wireless only keyboards and mouse is they have to boot and start Bluetooth before anything happens.

As chscag suggests get a wired kb and mouse. Invaluable trouble shooters.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When I look at that error in Safe Mode, it can't read something on the hard drive.

Try everything else suggested, but I have a strong feeling your hard drive might be dying.

OP
T
Reaction score
I've tried all the suggestion, including using the original disc and pressing C at the boot up (I get a message that OSX cannot be installed on this computer), and I can't get the computer to work...

When I look at that error in Safe Mode, it can't read something on the hard drive.

Try everything else suggested, but I have a strong feeling your hard drive might be dying.

What is strange is that when I start it in safe mode, I get to a blue screen rather than the Apple logo on a white background. And I can then access all my shared folders from any computer on the network.. DOesn't this mean the hard drive is not dead?

Reaction score
so does that mean it is actually booting from the install media to give you that error. Can you provide a screenshot of the same?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe not dead but has errors. At least where that one file is located it can't read.

C

chas_m

You have to be very specific with us, since we aren't there to watch what you are doing.

Tell us SPECIFICALLY what happens when you restart the machine holding the option key down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.