Switching to Mac, which is best?

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post here. I'm going to be getting a iMac for recording purposes soon, and it'll be my first Mac.

My question is, the current iMacs are set up so that I have two choices. An iMac with 8 gig of ram and a 2.5GHz processor, or one with 4 gig of ram and a 2.7GHz processor. For what I am using (Reason rewired into Digital Performer 7, live audio recording and midi in recording), which one suits my needs better? Current budget omits the possibility of getting both, so I was wondering which of those two setups is best for someone in my situation?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Firstly you should probably mention that you're talking about the 21.5" iMac (and not the 27" model).:)

Don't worry about the ram part of the decision. Get 4 gig now...and upgrade later (if & when necessary). As far as the cpu speed...probably not a super big difference.

Also realize that between the two models you mentioned...there is some difference in the video hardware.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think that .2 GHz will make a noticeable difference when running these programs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you think that .2 GHz will make a noticeable difference when running these programs?

Already answered that...please see above.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Personally I'd take an 8gb 2.5Ghz. Reason 6 with ReWire is now 64bit so you can take full advantage of doubling your memory capacity (this means a lot more VSTs and effects) where 200MHz processing is almost negligible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.