Is there an App to track/monitor battery life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
My 8 month old iMAC's keyboard, mouse and track pad eats batteries every 4 to 6 weeks. At least that's what I see when I look at them in System Preferences.

Is there some App that can be installed either on the Desk Top or to the Dock that would visibly/graphically shows battery life?

Thanks

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free coconutBattery 2.7 from here.

C

chas_m

Not sure what coconut battery (etc) would have to do with mouse, keyboard and trackpad batteries, guys ...

To the OP: four to six weeks sounds about right *if you're not turning the devices OFF when you're not using them*. On the mouse, that's on the bottom; on the keyboard, you press and hold the button on the right side until you get the onscreen message "keyboard off."

I don't own a Magic Trackpad so I'm not sure but I think it's the same as the keyboard.

Also, use rechargeables (2100mAh or higher) and a fast recharger for environmental reasons.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure what coconut battery (etc) would have to do with mouse, keyboard and trackpad batteries, guys ...

:) Looks like I need a new prescription for my glasses! I totally missed that.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I don't use the dashboard but istats pro does have a bunch of battery info. They also make istats menu which does hold the mouse/keyboard battery level as well. I like both of these as they are a consolidated way to see a bunch of information about your machine.
iStat Pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer
iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango

That being said - under the bluetooth menu (assuming you added it to the menu bar) you can see the battery level for all connected bluetooth devices (that report such things) So you could just go there to see the battery level.

@chas_m the magic trackpad is exactly the same as the keyboard - side button to turn on and off.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

To the OP: four to six weeks sounds about right *if you're not turning the devices OFF when you're not using them*. On the mouse, that's on the bottom; on the keyboard, you press and hold the button on the right side until you get the onscreen message "keyboard off."

I don't own a Magic Trackpad so I'm not sure but I think it's the same as the keyboard.

Also, use rechargeables (2100mAh or higher) and a fast recharger for environmental reasons.

FYI I leave my iMac and all peripherals on 24/7. This is how I lived for 20+ years on a PC I see no reason to change now that I own a MAC.

Tom

C

chas_m

Just to clarify that portion of my post a bit, by "devices" I am only referring to the bluetooth Magic Mouse/Trackpad and keyboard, not every device.

I've never found any clear documentation of how long/if these items "go to sleep," but I've definitely found that turning off the mouse when I'm not using it makes a difference in battery life. My BT keyboard is still on its original set of batteries after so many weeks I've lost track -- at least three months -- but the electricity required for a KB is SO much lower than a mouse.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to clarify that portion of my post a bit, by "devices" I am only referring to the bluetooth Magic Mouse/Trackpad and keyboard, not every device.

I've never found any clear documentation of how long/if these items "go to sleep," but I've definitely found that turning off the mouse when I'm not using it makes a difference in battery life. My BT keyboard is still on its original set of batteries after so many weeks I've lost track -- at least three months -- but the electricity required for a KB is SO much lower than a mouse.

Thanks for that info, there is so much to learn and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Tom

Reaction score
Battery Sleeper

If you're concerned about battery life, you should also check out low battery saver. It's an app thatmakes sure your Mac sleeps before the battery completely runs out and let's you set a warning to alert you that the computer is about to sleep. (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/low-battery-saver) It won't fix your battery problems but at least you won't lose your work, have to restart your computer etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He's not concerned with his Mac's battery, he asked about the Magic Mouse, Trackpad, and Keyboard. Also, your link is a dead link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.