Design student considering the switch to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 27" iMac, 3.4 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 6970m 2GB
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could give me some advice on my situation/circumstances.

I'm a 19 year old, first year Graphic Design student and have used Windows all my life. I could probably use it throughought the rest of my education and ultimately my career as it has always done what ive needed it to do. Despite this, I cant help but want to switch to Mac. I do encounter some flaws with Windows, but it gets me by. Will I really benefit that much from buying a Mac? Could I not spend the same ammount of money, if not less on a Windows PC yet get a greater spec?

My second question is that, if I do make the switch to Mac, which product do I buy? I think I would benefit most from buying iMac, but Im open to change. I'm certainly considering the 27" model, but are the upgrades really that necessary? I'm up for buying the best, but would it be complete overkill as far as buying SSD etc. I'm already aware that it is a much more viable option to purchase memory from a third party source.

Would i7 @ 3.4ghz, 16gb RAM, 2gb Graphics, 1TB + 256gb SSD be complete overkill? I'm willing to spend that much if it will benefit in the long run, and last me for a very long time.

Thankyou in advance for you help and advice

Obzi

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Simply put, Windows machines nowadays are just as capable for graphics design work as are Mac machines. And comparing price does not always work because you have to consider the hardware and what you get for your money.
A good quality Win machine will easily cost the same as a Mac.

Anyway, it's a decision you have to make. Visit your local Apple Store or a Best Buy store and play around with some of the display models. And keep tuned to our forums and read what others are saying.

C

chas_m

Unless you are primarily working in 3D, the graphics card upgrade is COMPLETE overkill. Print and web design work with 2D, not 3D, beyond the raw RAM on the video card there is not that much that they offer you. The default card would be perfectly suitable.

I also don't see much the point of SSD for your particular situation. MASSES of storage are much more important than the speed of that storage. SSD is great stuff these days, but the storage capacities versus money spent just doesn't work out for a graphic artist yet IMO.

Plenty of RAM and a reasonably good video card + iMac will, despite what chscag says, give you a firm advantage over Windows-using counterparts. The continuing superiority of the displays, typography and font handing as well as colour calibration (not to mention the near-universality of Macs in the creative arts) will all stand you in good stead, and that's not even mentioning the better operating system, higher reliability and better integration of software and hardware.

Many studies have found that Mac users are about a third more productive, and earn nearly double to Windows-using colleagues -- that's a solid productivity boost (once you learn the system and software, obviously) that's hard to ignore. Could be a big part of the reason WHY Macs are so favoured by creative professionals.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think the SSD may fall into the 'overkill' - or luxury category, I do however, believe that you're well served springing for the upgraded video card for a machine that you intend to keep for a while. You don't necessarily need the 2GB version but I don't think there was a huge price difference if I recall correctly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Opinions, everyone has them. I repeat, Win machines properly equipped are just as capable for graphics design work or anything else. And so is the software. As I stated above, the OP needs to see and try for himself. He doesn't need slanted opinions from a Mac apologist.

C

chas_m

I'm not a Mac apologist, because there's nothing the Mac needs apology for.

I have almost 30 years in the graphics/publishing and advertising field, and if PCs were as capable as you claim they would be the majority of the machines you find at publishing companies, advertising agencies, book publishers and professional graphic design firms just as they are in non-creative businesses.

They are not. Macs make up the HUGE majority of computers used in professional graphic design. PCs tend to be dominant primarily by small "home business" type setups or little print shops doing business cards and the like. I've worked in the industry for a LONG time and been with a LOT of design firms large and small. Unless something dramatic changed since I moved to Canada, Macs rule when it comes to most (but not all) of the creative arts industries.

That you CAN make a PC do some of the things a Mac does doesn't mean you SHOULD. And vice-versa where applicable.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 27" iMac, 3.4 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 6970m 2GB
For me, undertaking work and projects whilst having a Mac at my disposal, would make the process far more enjoyable and less of a chore.

I know myself too well, if I opted for a high end Windows machine, I would be more inclined to load it up with garbge and use it as a gaming machine as opposed to work/education. Buying a Mac would ultimately stop me for wanting to game, besides the fact there are hardly any, I would see the machine as a worktool and not a toy.

I went into Apple yesterday and asked one of the Genius' (I'll use the term lightly) for some advice on upgrades. All he mentioned was RAM saying that it was most important, highlighting that they can do it all for me. Couldnt help but feel he wanted to plug the most expensive component, considering you can buy it cheaply from other sources (£80 from Crucial, as apposed to £480 from Apple themselves for 16GB) Does the £400 difference in price actually justify the quality of Apple products?

Im fairly confident that I'll go for a Mac, its the more mature choice for me and will certainly benefit the most. How long would a high end 27" iMac model last me before I really have to take drastic measures and upgrade?

Thanks to all for their input so far

C

chas_m

You should expect four years of relatively trouble-free bliss before feeling that maybe you're falling behind a bit. With modest upgrades to the latest whiz-bang storage and RAM options, maybe five or six. Technology moves at a fast clip with some truly amazing stuff always coming down the pike.

My current machine is a 2007 model that, apart from its poor video subsystem would continue to serve my very diverse needs just fine. Lion, additional RAM and a larger, faster HD have made it feel better than new, but I reluctantly have to move on. When I worked in the ad-agency world, I was often on Macs that were anywhere from 2-5 years behind the current models, and was still very productive and happy.

PS. Not that I'm trying to undermine your noble efforts, but in fact most of the popular PC game titles are available for the Mac -- six months to a year after the PC release (though Steam is helping narrow that gap). Ironically, the Mac version is now often the better value, often including the add-on packs the Windows people paid for at the time. And of course every Intel Mac can run Windows at native speeds, so gaming is less of an issue on the Mac (if you're willing to run both platforms) than it used to be. That said, I like you prefer to think of the Mac as something more serious, and leave the hardcore gaming to Windows and consoles where they belong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
For me, undertaking work and projects whilst having a Mac at my disposal, would make the process far more enjoyable and less of a chore.
This is probably going to come across as more biting than intended, but have you actually used Macs enough for this to be an informed assessment? You said you've used Windows your whole life, so it has to be asked.

I know myself too well, if I opted for a high end Windows machine, I would be more inclined to load it up with garbge and use it as a gaming machine as opposed to work/education. Buying a Mac would ultimately stop me for wanting to game, besides the fact there are hardly any, I would see the machine as a worktool and not a toy.
So would you keep a Windows PC for casual use and a Mac for work purposes? While similar setups aren't unheard of, I can't help but feel you might want to work on your self-discipline if it's that much of an issue for you.

I went into Apple yesterday and asked one of the Genius' (I'll use the term lightly) for some advice on upgrades. All he mentioned was RAM saying that it was most important, highlighting that they can do it all for me. Couldnt help but feel he wanted to plug the most expensive component, considering you can buy it cheaply from other sources (£80 from Crucial, as apposed to £480 from Apple themselves for 16GB) Does the £400 difference in price actually justify the quality of Apple products?
There is nothing to justify the increased price of RAM from Apple. Buy it from Crucial to guarantee compatibility, or if you're very comfortable with matching specs, get it for even cheaper from Newegg et al.

Im fairly confident that I'll go for a Mac, its the more mature choice for me and will certainly benefit the most. How long would a high end 27" iMac model last me before I really have to take drastic measures and upgrade?
I don't want to make it look like I'm belittling chas_m's advice since I have a great deal of respect for his experience, but you really should consider what chscag said more seriously than you are. You shouldn't jump into a foreign environment with a learning curve based on hearsay, especially when the age of Macs being the clearly superior platform for graphics design work died around the time Adobe started taking itself more seriously - not to say they aren't more popular in the field, but that's mostly due to "grandfathering." You shouldn't get a Mac if your only reason for doing so is that someone on the Internet told you they're better for the work you do. You should find someone who does use Macs for said work and see how they do things in person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I used to work for a group of companies who's CEO instructed his IT department to junk all PC's throughout all depts and phase in Macs. This was about 10 years ago and the reason was that he was losing money through downtime caused by his PC infrastructure. It took me probably 3 to 6 months to get the hang of using them and I'm still learning now 7 years later because the user/Mac relationship unfolds like no other. I now work for myself and need to view lots of documents simultaneously, architectural and engineering drawings, send mail, and need ready access to the web with sometimes multiple browser windows open at the same time. I wanted the minimum of fuss without feeling the need to lift the hood every other day to tighten everything up again so to speak. I chose Mac because I had seen both sides of the coin and my investment has proved the right one. As a Graphics student you will value a 27" screen, the reliability (low maintenance costs), and a learning experience that will stand you in good stead for when you start applying for jobs within the industry.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
As a designer I don't think it maters what OS you design on. The end product should speak for itself. Just use whatever OS environment you are comfortable with.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I much prefer doing graphics work on OSX. I have both here and always run to the OSX system.

CR hit it right on the head, Comfortable. No matter what I do, I feel way more comfortable with OSX than Windows.

I am FAR from a Mac Apologist but after trying Windows 8 last night, I might turn into one! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^ what pendlewitch said.

chas m what does ^^^ mean I'm still learning remember...it could be a naughty word but most of ours have four letters in them ?

C

chas_m

The carat symbol used in forums like this one in the way I did means "look up (at the message above mine)" or alternatively "thumbs up."

And just to clarify that I'm not fully disagreeing with chscag ... many design tools, particularly the Adobe ones, are more-or-less the same on either platform, and as CR said good work can be done on both.

But the *combination* of the better OS, the better typography, the better color controls and the better hardware/software integration *augment* this or that design program to make the Mac the superior platform for creative-based productivity endeavours. Chscag may argue that the Mac's advantage over Windows has diminished over the years, and I might even agree with him -- but I'm sure we would differ on "to what degree" this has happened.

Bottom line, the industry has spoken on this (and continues to do so) -- not just in print/publishing but in a number of related creative-pro fields.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for posting that Chas. I was going to explain that symbol but you did it well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The carat symbol used in forums like this one in the way I did means "look up (at the message above mine)" or alternatively "thumbs up."

And just to clarify that I'm not fully disagreeing with chscag ... many design tools, particularly the Adobe ones, are more-or-less the same on either platform, and as CR said good work can be done on both.

But the *combination* of the better OS, the better typography, the better color controls and the better hardware/software integration *augment* this or that design program to make the Mac the superior platform for creative-based productivity endeavours. Chscag may argue that the Mac's advantage over Windows has diminished over the years, and I might even agree with him -- but I'm sure we would differ on "to what degree" this has happened.

Bottom line, the industry has spoken on this (and continues to do so) -- not just in print/publishing but in a number of related creative-pro fields.

Hi chas m. Thank you for taking the time to reply and explaining your rationale so succinctly. I was concerned that I had missed the point but obviously not. The OP has seen a balanced argument which is good in my view so hopefully he can now make the right decision.;)
Liam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.