Windows7 (x64) OEM or full version?

Reaction score

Very soon I am going to install a version of Windows 7 on my MBP Pro 15" using Bootcamp. The reason being I do not wish to purchase a Mac version of MS Office and there is no Mac version of Quicken 2000. Also I wish to play a game called IL2 Forgotten Battles that cannot be used on OSX Lion. All of these I am currently using on a self built top of the range i7 920 PC and will do so for the foreseeable future.

I would like to keep down the cost of Windows, so I would like to purchase an OEM copy of either the Home Edition or Pro. Normally I would purchase the full retail version of Windows 7 because on normal PC hardware, I am continually upgrading as I go along and there is no problem with reactivation. However, with the MBP I will never be upgrading the hardware. I might change to SSD later.

In my mind it makes sense to get the OEM version because the only time that there would be a hardware change would be if there was a failure and the hardware would be identical so reactivation would not be necessary.

Am I think correctly, or have I missed something? I would value opinions. Thanks for reading.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can purchase a full install Windows 7 OEM system builder's version from Amazon.com. It includes both the 32 and 64 bit versions on the same DVD.

Cost = $99.99 LINK

Reaction score
I believe, when determining the need for reactivation, Windows looks at 7 or 8 different parameters, expecting the majority to be the same. So I'd say, you should easily be able to replace a HD and Ram on your computer without needing to reactivate. Now, if you do go with an SSD, you might want to install windows from scratch to make sure it turns on the TRIM support and all that. That will require activation, but you should have no problem doing that with an OEM copy of windows (I've done that before).

OP
O
Reaction score
You can purchase a full install Windows 7 OEM system builder's version from Amazon.com. It includes both the 32 and 64 bit versions on the same DVD.

Cost = $99.99 LINK

Yes. Thanks, but I am from the UK. I have a friend who goes to the US quite often and he was going to purchase it for me, but it is not worth the hassle as there is not much difference in the pricing between US and UK.

Amazon.co.uk: windows 7 oem

I believe, when determining the need for reactivation, Windows looks at 7 or 8 different parameters, expecting the majority to be the same. So I'd say, you should easily be able to replace a HD and Ram on your computer without needing to reactivate. Now, if you do go with an SSD, you might want to install windows from scratch to make sure it turns on the TRIM support and all that. That will require activation, but you should have no problem doing that with an OEM copy of windows (I've done that before).

Thanks. It was the Motherboard that triggered it with Windows XP but I never had a problem with reactivation of that OS anyway. I must have done it more than a dozen times. It is my lack of usage with Windows7 (OEM) that is prompting me to ask for advice here. Has anybody any actual experience with this OEM version?

saurongt. When you say you have done it, is it with Windows7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
Quicken

There shouldn't be much difference between an OEM or full version of Windows except that the OEM is designed for a particular PC manufacturer with drivers for the PC model and other gubbins.

By the Way, I do not think Quicken 2000 will run on Windows 7. I had Quicken 2004 on XP and that failed to install or run on Windows Vista or 7.

OP
O
Reaction score
There shouldn't be much difference between an OEM or full version of Windows except that the OEM is designed for a particular PC manufacturer with drivers for the PC model and other gubbins.

That simply is not true. There are particular installation discs for some PC manufacturers, but you can purchase a standard OEM distribution for any new PC build. I know through experience building PCs.

I am not here to argue, but for help with regards to my MBP.

By the Way, I do not think Quicken 2000 will run on Windows 7. I had Quicken 2004 on XP and that failed to install or run on Windows Vista or 7.

Same again. If you read further up in my post, I am already running Quicken 2000 in Windows7 x 64. In fact I ran it in the Beta of Windows7 x 64.

The reason being I do not wish to purchase a Mac version of MS Office and there is no Mac version of Quicken 2000. Also I wish to play a game called IL2 Forgotten Battles that cannot be used on OSX Lion. All of these I am currently using on a self built top of the range i7 920 PC and will do so for the foreseeable future.

I am sorry to be blunt, but now back to my original question and the reason for posting!!!!

Reaction score
saurongt. When you say you have done it, is it with Windows7?

What I've done with Windows7 OEM:

-Changed hard drives, reinstalled windows from scratch, reactivated without a problem.
-changed video card (no activation necessary, obviously).

So, I do not speak for how many parts you can swap before windows rejects your computer, but I can vouch for being able to reinstall the system from scratch and still activating it.

Reaction score
There is NO difference between full retail and System Builder OEM (as distinct from a manufacturer-specific OEM disc) version of Win 7. Zero software difference. Exactly the same.

The only difference is the license. Full retail discs can be installed on multiple machines (of course, only one at a time). System Builder OEM versions can only be installed on on one machine, ever. But on that machine, you can upgrade and swap all the hardware elements you want, including the hard drive.

Hope that clears this up.

Cheers

OP
O
Reaction score
What I've done with Windows7 OEM:

-Changed hard drives, reinstalled windows from scratch, reactivated without a problem.
-changed video card (no activation necessary, obviously).

So, I do not speak for how many parts you can swap before windows rejects your computer, but I can vouch for being able to reinstall the system from scratch and still activating it.
There is NO difference between full retail and System Builder OEM (as distinct from a manufacturer-specific OEM disc) version of Win 7. Zero software difference. Exactly the same.

The only difference is the license. Full retail discs can be installed on multiple machines (of course, only one at a time). System Builder OEM versions can only be installed on on one machine, ever. But on that machine, you can upgrade and swap all the hardware elements you want, including the hard drive.

Hope that clears this up.

Cheers

Thanks. That answers my original question. In plain English the same criteria as Windows XP, where I built more than 100 PCs of various specifications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.