First mac computer...upset

Reaction score
after all the hype about how macs run flawlessly, i decided to buy one and see what the talk was about.

heres my story, bought my imac friday and have had nothing but problems with it.

out the box the system was slow, broight to apple store they did a fresh install of snow leopard...i asked why snow leopard? because it is what came with you computer and you can update to lion at home...ok fine you guys are the geniuses right...

ok back home, running fine, dowmloaded lion, install update, and bam......-50 minutes remaining...wth....reboot......reinstallll then again i get the - time remaining.....what gives apple.

apple is definately all hype...

returning back for good tomorrow....

OP
J
Reaction score
first mac,3rd attempt on Lion install....fail

like the title says, just biught a new imac, and have had nothing but problems with it.

on my third attempt to install lion and have gotten the -minutes remaining on last attempts, and went as far as -80 minutes.

any last suggestions that i should try before it returns to the store for good?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
50 minutes remaining for what?

If you are serious and not here just to Troll, explain what exactly is going on.

Why even bother with Lion if Snow Leopard works fine?

Lion took me 20 minutes to install on my Ancient MAC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your other thread you posted on the same subject says you were taking it back. Now it's -80 minutes? What says -80 Minutes?

OP
J
Reaction score
Exactly as I wrote......install time -50 negative minutes remaining...<~ problem and the minutes keep getting higher

Not a troll just an upset first time Mac computer buyer, I have an iPad and iPod touch

And why would I want to keep SL when Lion is available you ask, because it's available that's why.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In all the help I have given people and issues I have seen reported, this is a first. That is why I wondered about the Trolling part as we do get a lot of them.

Lion does go online and get files during the install. Is it plugged into the Net? I have seriously never seen your issue with the 1000's of people I have dealt with so far including my installs and my friends.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have downloaded lion,

First attempt of lion install.....-50 minutes remaining, second attempt.....-80 mintues remaining......

Those are negative signs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I replied to your other thread. We only allow one thread here per question so I am going to zap this one. Lets keep this in your first thread please.

OP
J
Reaction score
Wireless connection is active, typing on iPad.

Look up these keywords and you will see what I am talking about,

"Lion install negative time remaining"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This one person here waited and it eventually went back to positive. I have truly never seen this mentioned before. Crazy stuff. I would not take it back. Something strange is going on! :D

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3192411?start=0&tstart=0

According to the last poster, be patient! Wait a bit and report back. I really thought you were making it up as it sounds so bizarre! Sorry!

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok this is my third try and again it is at -5 minutes right now.....

I'm going to reboot and skip this, how do I bypass the OS x install so I can wipe out the computer of my information?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read that URL and try waiting a while? 2 people did and it worked.

Did they give you an OSX DVD?

OP
J
Reaction score
its finished.

posting on the updated iMac..

Gave it one last shot and held down option after restart, and selected Install OSX, and bam 15 minutes later im on lion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good going. Glad you did not give up and it installed.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok im back.....

after owning this mac for a few months and wanted to update the os, downloaded, went to install..."FREEZE.....restart......FREEZE......stuck in apple logo with spinning wheel...restart.....
freeze....read all pages regarding my issues, still no luck...

since i cant get in to save my data, is there a way to backup and do a clean install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Millions of others get along fine with their Macs, right out of the box. As most computer problems are user generated, perhaps if you give more detailed descriptions of the actions you are taking, someone could point out the methodology that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
These posts are funny. Maybe not to the people with the issues, but I always wonder if they have continual issues with ANY PC they own, regardless of make/model/OS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What model Mac is this? What version of OSX was on it and what are you trying to update to? Give us a bit more info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.