3 blinking lights

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just died :(
Hello my name is Chris and this is my first post and unfortunately I'm afraid it might be a sad one...Sept 9th I had my Power Mac dual 2Ghz ppc on and functioning fine...turned it off and the next morning I tried turning it on. I pushed the power button and I heard it turn on, the fans power up, hard drive etc...no signal to the displays and the power button was blinking three times...I did my own research to find that the three blinking lights indicate ram is not properly installed...knowing that wasn't the case I looked into it further...Alot of forum threads indicated it was the ram slots themselves or the logic board...I took out all the ram 4.5 gigs and tried each one in every different slot...When I had one ram stick in the light only blinked twice indicating no ram installed at all...I also tried a different battery and reset the pmu...Still nothing...So my question is what do you more experienced guys think could be the problem or what could I try to fix it??? Also if I get a Apple Mac Pro Desktop - MB871LL/A (March, 2009) 2.66GHz Quad-Core would I be able to take programs off my old drive and put on that drive or is it drive combatable??? Basicly I use this computer to make music and my sequencer is on the old drive but if I get an Intel mac I'd have to upgrade the software of my sequencer too...ugh...
Thanks for the help...

C

chas_m

1. Paragraphs. For god's sake, PARAGRAPHS. Punctuation would also be appreciated.

2. I commend you for detailing what you've tried already, but I'm inclined to agree with your sad prognosis. Luckily, your drive would indeed be COMPATIBLE.

3. Your music programs might require a re-install or re-authorization (locate the original disks if you haven't already) but basically I'd take the boot drive out, put it in a case and hook it up to another machine (like the one you mentioned) while sending the old machine out to your local Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP). Don't expect any good news, however ... but at least from the sound of it your data is safe.

OP
Solid Sound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just died :(
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it was so long, but I didn't want any confusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.