What do I need for wireless internet surfing on iBook?

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing an iBook soon and I'd like to get all the harware for setting up wireless internet access in my home when I place my order. I've never set up a wireless network before, nor have I set up a Mac network, this will be my second Mac though.

First question is, do I need the Airport Extreme or Airport Express, or is there some non Apple, 802.11g wireless units I should look at?

Second, will I be able to just plug my cable modem right into the Airport whatever or will I need a second computer to surf wirelessly? (I hope this isn't a silly question)

I'm sure I'll have more questions but these should get me going in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
1. No, you don't need to use an Apple router. Just go to bestbuy.com or circuitcity.com and check some routers out (you'll probably be able to get a better price elsewhere but they have good selections). However, I reccomend getting a router with a USB-in so that you can printer wirelessly as well. This something I wish my router had...Both the Apple Extreme and Express AirPort systems have this. Plus AirPort Express has AirTunes, but at the moment I'm just using a Linksys Wireless G...

2. Yes, all you do is run an ethernet or cat-5 cable from your cable modem to the router. It takes almost no effort to set it up. My iMac recognized the wireless network immediately without configuration...

Good luck

S

sursuciofla

SlamMan said:
I'm looking into purchasing an iBook soon and I'd like to get all the harware for setting up wireless internet access in my home when I place my order. I've never set up a wireless network before, nor have I set up a Mac network, this will be my second Mac though.

First question is, do I need the Airport Extreme or Airport Express, or is there some non Apple, 802.11g wireless units I should look at?

Second, will I be able to just plug my cable modem right into the Airport whatever or will I need a second computer to surf wirelessly? (I hope this isn't a silly question)

I'm sure I'll have more questions but these should get me going in the right direction.

Yes you need Airport Card which comes standard now on the iBook. You can get an Airport Base Station but it is not necessary. I use Linksys Wireless Router and it works okay. Certainly not the best but most any router should work. If you ask the place you buy the router from they should be able to answer which model works well and what doesn't. Yes, you can just plug your modem into the Router or Base and you are good to go but if you are in a highly populated residential area I would secure your wireless network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.