Mp3

Reaction score
Forgive me if too much info but: can't use my nano in areas of high humidity (ie my arm when breaking a hard sweat). It starts randomly jumping between songs. I want to add podcasts to a shuffle (think they are a little more sturdy) so Ive converted M4V to MP4. Tried the "convert to MP3" button under advanced tab on iTunes but is greyed out.

Any advice short of buying yet another freaking work around product?!

Thanks very much

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
m4v and mp4 files are videos while mp3s are audio files. This is why it's greyed out. I'm not sure why your podcasts are saved as video files though. Where are you getting these from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
On podcast selection there is audio only sometimes if you wait a day or so it will be available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I had a similar problem with my ipod.. Check your settings under music (? not sure what settings are on a nano) and make sure that "shake to shuffle" is switched to OFF.. It may seem that it's high humidity but it may be just settings.

C

chas_m

Since MP4 is a VIDEO format and MP3 is an AUDIO format, you need to clarify that this is what you ACTUALLY want to do (strip the video out and leave the audio).

Is that, in fact, what you want to do?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes Chas, that is it. I would like to strip the audio out of the video so I can play it on a shuffle. Ive used iSkysoft to change the M4V to MP4. Have not been able to get it in a form that plays just audio.

Thanks

C

chas_m

Yes Chas, that is it. I would like to strip the audio out of the video so I can play it on a shuffle. Ive used iSkysoft to change the M4V to MP4. Have not been able to get it in a form that plays just audio.

Thanks

I'd personally stay well away from any "(blank)soft" programs -- hand-crafted by Chinese spammers ...

Anyway, this is a super simple thing to do, you're just not using the right tool.

1. Open the video in Quicktime Player.
2. Under the File menu, choose Export.
3. Select "Audio Only" as the type.

That's it!

OP
T
Reaction score
I keep having the problem of not seeing what people describe in instructions. If there is a way to insert an image in this forum let me know. I took a screen shot of it. What I saw when I tried this was :

New Movie Recording
New Audio Recording
New Screen Recording

Open File
Open URL
Open Recent

Close
Save as...
Save for Web...
Revert to Saved

Am I missing something? Do I need some other software??
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
screen.jpg
screen.jpg
screen.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using Snow Leopard? The export to audio feature is only available in the Lion version of QT. An app that will do the job for you though is the Miro Video Converter. Open your files with that and in the drop down, select the last option "MP3 (Audio Only)."

C

chas_m

As far as images, you need to FIRST upload the image to a hosting service (like ImageShack, Photobucket, Flickr et al), then link to that web-hosted image.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can upload pictures to the forums as well using the attachment function (click the paper clip in the toolbar above the textbox when you're writing a post).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need to upgrade to Lion just to convert the videos - Miro Video Converter will do just fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
ARRRRRG ! Truly all input is deeply appreciated and I LOVE all my Mac products but I HATE Steve Jobs and Apple Corp. Im assuming the bender icon means you know what an eye phone is.

Now that my tantrum is over... is this what you are talking about? Miro Video Converter FREE - Convert any video to MP4, WebM (vp8), iPhone, Android, iPod, iPad, and more.

My goal is to be able to play my iTunes purchases on a player that I can swim with. Will this allow me to to get around this insane DRM (Satan emoticon)

Thanks very much

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, that won't get around any DRM but what on the iTunes Store is still protected by DRM? How old is this content?

OP
T
Reaction score
New stuff. What is the correct term? When I try to convert music it says " 'song' cannot be converted because protected files cannot be converted to other formats "

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That means it is indeed protected with DRM. Given that DRM is in place and, respecting the rules of the forum, we can not provide advice regarding the circumvention of said DRM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.