Just inherited Imac

Reaction score
hi wondering if anyone can help me out, i've just been handed an imac that is running os leopard and i want to restore it as it has loads of stuff clogging it up.

i dont have any disks with it or anything like that.

any help would be really useful, thankyou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Restore it? If you mean reinstall and start over, you need a disc. Leopard discs are going for about $100 on eBay, from what I've read here. Make sure you get a black one with a big X on it. The gray ones will not work for you unless you get real lucky.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It may also help if you let us know which iMac model you have (there are lots & lots of them).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
ok thanks, i dont have $100 so looks like ill be using it as is.
so i cant just do a factory reset or anything like that?
also can i upgrade to lion, will that work?

my specs are:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Lion can only be done 2 ways through the App Sore in SL or the 69.00 USB and your specs support Lion although 4GB of ram IMO would be better. I am not completely sure you could jump from Leopard to Lion someone else would have to answer that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks, i dont have $100 so looks like ill be using it as is.
so i cant just do a factory reset or anything like that?
also can i upgrade to lion, will that work?

This computer can be upgraded to Lion...but you're supposed to have Snow Leopard installed first (OS 10.6.6 or later) so that you can access the Mac App Store to download Lion.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
so basically i have to shell out loads of cash to get it running at an ok state :(
might be sticking to the pc for a while ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so basically i have to shell out loads of cash to get it running at an ok state :(

Yeah...that's a real intelligent plan! You get a pretty nice iMac (I would certainly take it & use it):)...for absolutely nothing...and for less than $50 dollars (less if you just upgraded to Snow Leopard) you could get it running just fine (not that it's possibly running just fine now with Leopard).

Enjoy your Windows computer if that's what you decide to do.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
yer but ill have to pay to get snow leopard, then pay to get lion, then people tell me it wont run too well with only 2gb ram.
also when i get snow leopard or lion will this actually restore the machine?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yer but ill have to pay to get snow leopard, then pay to get lion, then people tell me it wont run too well with only 2gb ram.

But...but...but!;) I'm currently running Snow Leopard with 2 gig of ram on my MacBook Pro...and everything is great!:)

At the current time...you really don't NEED Lion, and you don't NEED more than 2 gig of ram.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way...you don't sound like you're very familiar with Macintosh computers. What is your eventual goal for this iMac?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would address whatever is slowing it down before doing a reinstall or making the jump to a new OS.
There are apps like Onyx that can clear the "clutter". How much free space do you have on the Hard Drive? Is there a lot of excess music or video/movies that could be tossed? Since you inherited it, there could be apps that you don't want or need that could be removed. Take a look in the Applications folder and see what's there that you don't use. But be careful not to just toss anything and everything in an attempt to clean up. Bumping up to 4GB of RAM could help speed things up too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would address whatever is slowing it down before doing a reinstall or making the jump to a new OS.
There are apps like Onyx that can clear the "clutter". How much free space do you have on the Hard Drive? Is there a lot of excess music or video/movies that could be tossed? Since you inherited it, there could be apps that you don't want or need that could be removed. Take a look in the Applications folder and see what's there that you don't use. But be careful not to just toss anything and everything in an attempt to clean up. Bumping up to 4GB of RAM could help speed things up too.

All great suggestions. No real need to upgrade the OS unless there is a specific need...and the slow downs should be fixable without reinstalling the current OS. :)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I forgot to add go into Disk Utility and verify/repair permissions and the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

First I did not say it would not run very well I stated I would run 4GB in that machine reason more proficient and yes new Airs are shipping with 2GB but they are also at 1333MHz front side bus as opposed to 1067MHz.
$29.00 for SL + $29.00 for L = $58.00 + tax and that is still wayyyy cheaper than Windows 7 and to be honest we would need to compare it to
Professional $199.00/ $99.50 (for pro upgrade).
As was said first you need to find out why it is slowing down before upgrading the problem could follow you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)

That sounds like an awesome idea. I'll take the Mac off your hands for ya! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way...you don't sound like you're very familiar with Macintosh computers.

Yeah, I wish OP would define "restore the computer" for me. That's terminology I've never heard before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think he means restore to default as received when brand new. For that you need the system install discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, of course. Just what my first post says.

Reaction score
@OP - try this if you want (I know this is posted before but I will get you some steps to start with)
- if you have iPhoto: Open the app and delete all the pics you don't need. Then in the menu bar there is an option to delete iPhoto trash (this is a must, as iPhoto has it's own trash)
- if you have iTunes: Open the app and delete everything you don't need. Also, select to delete the files from the HD
- Now, open Document folder and check what is needed and not needed and delete what you don't need
- Open Downloads folder and do the same
- Open Application folder and trash the apps that you don't want. Check for system applications and downloaded applications. If you are not sure write down everything here and we will try to help
- Now, empty trash
- Go to desktop and click on the top-left logo and look for software updates
- Download Onyx and run everything in the automation tab. It might take few minutes but totally worth it.

I would say, in all, you might have to spend 60 minutes or so for a good performing MAC without software update without RAM upgrades.

Let us know if this works for you... good luck...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.