• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How Did Your Day Change 10 Years Ago?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Started the day building a Unix server at work...
Left early and drove down the hill back into town watching F-16's perpetually circling Peoria, IL...
Spent the evening arresting people fighting over gasoline and having abandoned and suspicious cars towed away from the court house and Federal building...
Seems like ages ago, and like yesterday all at once.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Drowning in Bureaucracy and Security Regs!

I work for the Govt and every year it gets harder to get anything done. I'll leave it to you to decide whether that's a good or bad thing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I remember trying to find a TV somewhere in the building at work. Word was spreading that something had happened with the WTC, but no one really knew what was going on. I ended up rigging a TV with a crude antenna (until then it had been used primarily with a VCR for HR training).

Pretty soon word got out that IT had a working TV. Before long, all of the executives in the building were crowding into the computer room to see what was going on.

I remember the panic really ramping up when the news first started reporting that a plane had crashed "outside of Pittsburgh" - now that it had hit closer to home, there was a lot of concern (especially being close to Three Mile Island). Shortly thereafter, we were all sent home.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I woke up to the news. I was trying to get into the house I am living at now and needed to go to DMV to renew my ID. Went and they closed it down due to what happened. I was half asleep when I first heard the news but was shocked once I woke up and realized what had happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Was only 9 1/2 back then but I still clearly remember being in Canadian Tire, walking around a corner to the TV aisle only to see the towers falling and standing there with weak legs in shock and disbelief.

Then a little later all the schools, downtown, and certain residential areas being evacuated because of a suspected hijacked plane that was being forced to land by 2 US Air Force fighters with shoot to kill orders if the plane made one wrong move.

Not a day I will ever forget…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The sound of the first plane crash woke me up, though it wasn't immediately apparent to me, what it was. Howard Stern *whom I really don't like at all anymore* indicated that a plane had crashed into the Towers. I ran to my 16th floor balcony and thought I was still dreaming when I saw it. Got ready and headed for work earlier than usual. On the bus headed uptown, people started crying as we heard the news of the second plane hitting.

We were evacuated from our midtown building, and I ran to talk to some good friends who *were* police officers to find out more. Wound up taking a bunch of people back to my place since the city was more or less shut down for a while, tried getting in touch with those whom I knew that were working in the towers.. but that was impossible and later even more so when I learned that some never made it out.

Seeing as how I lived on 28th and Second Ave, this made it extra hard to go about things normally. The smell permeated the air for a solid month from what I can remember, not to mention the fact that everything below 14th street was roped off and you needed ID to get in.

I also remember how tight knit everybody seemed to feel later on. Movie theaters were letting people in for free, parks were full and a haven to anyone whom needed an ear or a shoulder.

I'll refrain from going on, because I'll just babble endlessly. Time for sleep, anyhow.

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Was still pretty young back then. Didn't really know what was going on but I remember being picked up by my mom early.

A really awkward silent drive home, and that was pretty much it.

Didn't realize what was going on until I started watching TV and saw what was going on and it was quite shocking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I remember being in middle school gym class back then. We all knew something huge had happened because the teachers were all confused as to what they should have us do...whether it was the appropriate thing to send us back home, or to keep us hear while not having class. They didn't want us watching tv, and it wasn't until the students demanded to turn the tv on that we realized what had happened(the tv was usually on all the time in there). We obviously didn't see the wtc being hit on the news since we were late to know what was going on, but it was live when we saw the second get hit. It was utter silence. I remember it all as if it just it happened just a few moments ago...unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I was working in the IT department for a tissue bank in Virginia. That morning I was teaching a computer basics class to the new employees for their orientation. We had just taken a break. A TV had been set up in the lobby of the building, and people gathered around it watching the smoke billow from the first tower. As we watched, the second plane struck. We were all dumbfounded, and honestly, I don't remember much else from that day.

When you're processing human tissues for transplant, you can't stop. Tissue has a very short window before it has to be placed in cryogenic storage - less than 24 hours. All the planes were grounded after the attack, but tissues banks all over the country had materials that had to reach a processing facility quickly. A father and his daughter from Ohio gathered the unprocessed tissues from their bank and drove nearly non-stop from Ohio to Virginia, picking up other samples along the way from recovery centers in Kentucky and West Virginia. When, exhausted, they pulled into our parking lot, they were greeted by nearly 200 of our employees cheering and waving American flags.

Nine months later, I found myself in New York for MacWorld. I was there the previous year, before 9/11, but stayed at Javits the entire time, feeling that sightseeing would be irresponsible since my company was paying for everything. The next year though, summer 2002, I decided that seeing the city, the memorials... ground zero... was worth missing a day of MacWorld. This time, it would irresponsible for me NOT to tour the city. I visited the crater, I saw the debris, I took pictures of children's art depicting 9/11 (I didn't realize it was a school until a police officer asked me to move along - apparently big hairy guys with cameras outside an elementary school make people nervous - who knew?) Seeing it on tv was powerful, but standing at the edge of the crater, seeing the cranes still digging through debris, seeing the thousands of cards, letters, pictures and memorials left on the gate at St. Paul's Chapel, I was overwhelmed.

My mother used to tell me how she could remember every detail about where she was the day JFK was killed. I remember from my own childhood watching the Challenger explode. This is another one of those events - the kind that stays with you forever, changing you, shaping you. It's one of those events we'll tell our children about, one that they'll look back at when they have their own life altering event.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I was on my way to work when I heard about the first plane hitting the WTC..was listening to either Stern or other rock station where its' not out of the ordinary for them to say anything crazy or jolting to get a rise..but this seemed real and when they announced the second plane hitting the WTC, the tone completely changed and I knew this was real and horrific..

Went into work and most of us were glued to our monitors watching the horror unfold on whichever website managed to stay alive during the events..

I don't remember a lot of things, but this is definitely one of those days that I'll remember and be able to retell my grand kids with great clarity sometime far in the future..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Going from health class to history class in 9th grade high school. During history class we got a crude 'current events' lecture regardig the middle east from our stoic right winged coach/history teacher. THAT was eye popping.
Only a few tvs had cable at that time so we had to get al of our info offline which was crawling. Even ** we had t-1 but not a cable hook up in every room... Weird I know.
We didn't leave early. A few classmates thought their parents may have been in the air when it happened but they were all in the west coast. Sill scary. A gloomy day no doubt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I heard about the first tower being hit on my car radio. When a co-worker arrived a bit later, he announced the second crash. We found a TV down the hall in another office and stopped in occasionally throughout the day. But otherwise, my day was "normal".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Jokes were made towards me at my expense for being half Lebanese. That was awesome. 10 years ago there seemed to be a lot less ignorant rednecks in North America...now I see a lot more...bravo to those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I woke up here down under to the 1st tower on fire. I walked into where the wife was and i joked saying how realistic they can make movies these days bc it looked quite real.
Then she told me "No this is happening in real time in the States"

WOW i was shocked. Went to work (worked at a airport at that time) and everyone was on high alert, being it the Nations Capital and this is where all the Pollies fly into to go to Parliament.
A day went on with utter dis-belief, but come the day after and one of the baggage handlers saw a white powder on the ground after a bag fell off the conveyor belt.
Thats when they shut down the airport and it took the Haz Mat team 3 hrs to arrive because there where 4 other cases of a suspicious substance within the Parliamentary Triangle . . . .
They came saw and took samples then we had to be Chem Washed and then wait around for 5 hrs until they had time to analyse the substance . . . . .
If we sneezed the wrong way we were thought a terrorist . .. .
I will never forget

Lest we forget and thoughts with the families of the deceased on that terrible terrible day :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I woke up here down under to the 1st tower on fire. I walked into where the wife was and i joked saying how realistic they can make movies these days bc it looked quite real.
Then she told me "No this is happening in real time in the States"

That's kind of funny because it's almost the exact thing that happened to me. I thought it was some cheesy movie and was making fun of the people I was with for watching it that early in the morning....

How did my life change? Well, lets just say I got "felt up" going thru security at an airport yesterday. Nuff said....

As the old Chinese saying goes, "May you live in interesting times"...I think we got there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As the old Chinese saying goes, "May you live in interesting times"...I think we got there.

That's more of an ancient Chinese curse :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro ~Snow
I was frantic for months prior to 9/11 feeling as if I had to "get away with my kids". I put everything I owned in storage, gave notice to my landlord that I was moving "anywhere else but here", bought an 8 man tent, fishing poles, generator, and little fishing trailer. The dog and the kids and I headed to Yosemite (we live in northern California). We found a place to camp for free on the fire-trails outside of Yosemite's west gate. My oldest son turned 15 years old the first day we were there, September 5th. The place we were staying was glorious. I finally felt relieved for some reason. I felt calmer away from the city. The river was running right by our campsite, there were other people but we didn't see them often. The moon was so big every night. The kids and I bathed in the running river waters and fished for our diners. I prayed every morning, thanking God/Universe for the beauty of it all.
The kids and I had grown used to driving to the nearest rv park and small town for supplies, about 10 or 15 miles from our little sanctuary. I decided to stay at the rv campground, renting a trailer for a night of soft beds and clean, warm showers on 9/10. We had not had tv for weeks. I turned on the tv the morning of 9/11 and the news was horrifying. Why had this happened? The internal pain I felt was excruciating. My 2 youngest children were almost 5 and 3. I turned off the tv, returned to our river-side campsite and began the difficult task of "explaining these things and why they happen" to my children.

Bcn

Reaction score
The week before the attack I was on vacation in New York, we returned on a Saturday and the attack was on a Tuesday if I'm not mistaken. I remember we went up on the top of one of the towers on Thursday the week before. It was pretty scary thinking that we might as well could have been up there. We were actually supposed to go the week that it happened, but the tickets that we wanted were sold out, so we went a week earlier, luckily for us.

I went back to New York last month, and were there for the 10th year anniversary. It was amazing to be back, really love that city!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.