Creative Suite Master Collection

E

evantgard

Hi, I was looking to get some information/advice about a situation involving the academic version of CS Masters Collection.

I am looking to buy a new Macbook pro (I have a Powerbook G4, 7 years strong but is on its last leg) and believe I found a good deal. Its a student that's changing his major and he bought the Macbook and CS suite but now its collecting dust due to his change of major. I'm not sure if he bought the Macbook with the student discount but he bought the academic version of the CS suite. I've done some research and have found that academic licensing is non-transferable. He basically wants to just give me the software, casing and DVD/CDs and licenses, with the computer. He's not selling me the software, just the computer. My question is, does anyone know if there is there any type of clause in the licensing agreement that allows a student who wants to change there major to transfer the license over? I'm not a student but I would hate to see perfectly good software get tossed in the trash when it could be put to good use. I want to be ethical about this which is why I am asking these questions.

I look forward to any information/advice that anyone can provide.

Thanks,
evantgard

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Has the software been installed on the MBP?

If not, then it's likely you can't install it. When you buy Adobe software with an academic discount, you are given a serial code on the software. Once Adobe verifies that you are indeed an academic user, you are given an authorization code that is unique to YOU to install the software on your hardware. That authorization code is only valid for 30 days.

Both the serial number and authorization numbers are registered to the purchaser of the software through Adobe. Adobe has become very thorough about verification of licensing of their academic versions. You may want to contact Adobe to determine if the license can be transferred, but if you're not a student or a teacher, I highly doubt it can. Check out Adobe's website, too, for the license agreement to their software: Adobe - Support: Customer Service.

OP
E

evantgard

Has the software been installed on the MBP?

If not, then it's likely you can't install it. When you buy Adobe software with an academic discount, you are given a serial code on the software. Once Adobe verifies that you are indeed an academic user, you are given an authorization code that is unique to YOU to install the software on your hardware. That authorization code is only valid for 30 days.

Both the serial number and authorization numbers are registered to the purchaser of the software through Adobe. Adobe has become very thorough about verification of licensing of their academic versions. You may want to contact Adobe to determine if the license can be transferred, but if you're not a student or a teacher, I highly doubt it can. Check out Adobe's website, too, for the license agreement to their software: Adobe - Support: Customer Service.

Thanks so much for this txtchr! My last option is to call Adobe and just speak to a supervisor directly about the situation. You're right, I've thought about that, if anything Adobe will have mercy on a student or teacher and allow them to have the software but more than likely they probably won't let a non-student/teacher have it. I think ill suggest that they have a clause in their contract for situations like this because perfectly good software could go to waste when it could at least be transferred in the academic community. We'll see. If its meant to be it'll happen if not then that's fine too. Thanks again txtchr!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
I'll be real honest and tell you that you're getting into a gray area here. The software is installed, you didn't purchase it, but you are purchasing the hardware. Legally, does the software transfer with the hardware? I'm thinking probably not, but then again, this is an issue for the copyright lawyers.

A few things: in order for the updates on this software to continue, you will most likely need to continue to retain the current admin login and password. Don't know if the seller will want to do that, but that's their choice.

Second, let me give you a little background on Adobe software and its costs:

Over the years it has become one of the most pirated suites of software. Years ago, you purchased it (even with an student/educator's discount) and you provided little documentation. Installation was a snap and you were done. The savings was good, but not phenomenal.

Now it's a whole different ballgame. The Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 at retail (on Amazon) goes for $2371.67 (it's probably more direct from Adobe). Anyone can purchase that for a one-license only installation. A student (and mind you, now it's a college student only with a valid college ID and a current class schedule) or a currently employed teacher that verifies through extensive (and I mean extensive) documentation can purchase that same product for $649. Still a chunk of change, but a great savings nonetheless.

Adobe has become relentless in their quest to combat piracy and illegal transfers of licenses. What a hassle for those of us that actually do buy it.

While you may be able to purchase this MBP with the software installed and working, you may not be able to receive updates or fixes to bugs (oh, a common problem with multiple items in their suite).

Once again, this is a legal issue. Your best bet would be to contact Adobe direct.

Edit: found this information on Adobe's website: Transfer an Adobe product license

Educational versions of Adobe products are not eligible for a transfer of license. Educational versions of Macromedia-branded products, however, can be transferred to a new owner.

So, it appears that the suite can remain on the computer, but the license cannot be transferred. Don't know how that will affect its functionality, but you can read the details from the link provided above.

OP
E

evantgard

Hi txtchr, thanks again for all of this information and research that you have done! I called and checked and unfortunately there is no clause in their terms/policy for a student dropping their major. So the seller is stuck with the software (along with all of the other software that he purchased from other vendors). There should be some type of clause for students wanting to drop their major, especially if they just bought the software. Students drop majors all the time and I know that the software is heavily discounted but there should be something that can be done besides having to trash it or just keep it lying around. Thanks again and I guess I'm back to square one. I'm just glad I learned all about this, thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
if you decide to buy it then until sept 30th, you can buy retail adobe production premium from newegg or bh photo for 50% off. normally 1700 dollars for 850.00 it has adobe photoshop cs extended, illustrator, flash, premier,audition, and aftereffects and bridge. that is the cheapest you will ever see this software as the adobe photoshop extended alone cost more then the package costs. just make sure its retail as there is several student teacher versions, upgrades, ect. the stand alone retail license is what you want.

OP
E

evantgard

if you decide to buy it then until sept 30th, you can buy retail adobe production premium from newegg or bh photo for 50% off. normally 1700 dollars for 850.00 it has adobe photoshop cs extended, illustrator, flash, premier,audition, and aftereffects and bridge. that is the cheapest you will ever see this software as the adobe photoshop extended alone cost more then the package costs. just make sure its retail as there is several student teacher versions, upgrades, ect. the stand alone retail license is what you want.

Thanks safarisurfer for this info, I was able to get an unbelievable deal and then some! I found someone who sold me their Master Collection 5 license and I was able to upgrade to 5.5 at adobe.com! Internet bargain shopping (scouring) truly pays off!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.