Entourage Sucks!

Reaction score
Is it me, or does it seem like Entourage really sucks bad? It is not intuitive and is not laid out well.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

S

sursuciofla

trapzilla2002 said:
Is it me, or does it seem like Entourage really sucks bad? It is not intuitive and is not laid out well.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

What is your beef? i would like to know what you hate about it. I have it but have never used it. I have heard many good things about it.

I have 10.0.0 though and got it free, what version is yours?

OP
T
Reaction score
Entourage version 11.1.0

I bought the Microsoft Office Suite Teacher/Student Edition. I bought it for the Word, Excel and Powerpoint access so I don't have to keep forwarding myself emails to my Windows machine so I can open email attachments, and paid $129.

Well, just in the first .5 hour, I noticed that there is no easy way for me to import contacts from my contacts in my address book. Also, the overall setup is nothing like Outlook (maybe it is that I am used to Outlook...).

It emphasizes people having "projects". Maybe they do, but I have been in corporate America for 15 years and if I am organizing email, I just create a folder in my personal folders next to my inbox. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Also, you can see your "inbox" and a magnification of what is in it, but you can't see all the personal folders at the same time in the same view.

When you do open the personal folders, the mail, address book, notes, task icons are like an inch in size. Way too big and they take up too much room.

Maybe I am so new to it that I can change anything easily, but I fooled around with it for about 30 minutes and thought "I would just rather use my AppleMail that came with my iBook for free".

I welcome any comments/criticisms.

Thanks, Jay

G

ghostrida

i prefer Apples Mail to Entourage, although it is very Outlook Express like in features, if i'm looking for more power I turn to Thunderbird although I am happy with its features and more importantly its integration into the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually I really like Entourage and so far a lot better than Apple Mail. Apple Mail definitely integrates with the system more, but to get some of the functionality of Entourage you have to have Apple Mail, iCal, Address Book, and hmm.. that's it so you are missing tasks and hmm.. can't remember what that Entourage has.. Entourage's reminders are way better than iCals even though there are things about iCal that is nice. And Thunderbird, when I was using that.. man I couldn't figure out a way of exporting vcards or any of the other standards! Maybe they have improved it since I used it :)

So yeah I use Apple Mail now, due to the system integration, but I really miss many of the features that Entourage had :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Mail clients are very personal things. Everyone has his or her favorite. There are still quite a few people who like to use Pine. Personally, I'm wedded to Eudora, though it desperately needs an update. (It's getting one soon, they say.) Maybe that's why there are so many to choose from. Some of the smaller players actually look interesting

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/3532
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/605
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/842

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
there is a program on version tracker that will import your contacts from your address book on your mac to entourage. i forgot what it was called. i have already deleted it because it fulfilled it purpose. do a search for address book on mac update or version tracker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive
ye i have been using entourage for about 3 months not=w, and it works GREAT!!

M

mangoSharingan

I used Entourage initially but didn't like how long it took to delete messages from my inboxes while with Mail, it deletes straightaway. Maybe you have to change some setting in Entourage but I couldn't be bothered to find it, while with Mail, I didn't need to do anything, like with many Mac OS X applications :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
mangoSharingan said:
I used Entourage initially but didn't like how long it took to delete messages from my inboxes while with Mail, it deletes straightaway. Maybe you have to change some setting in Entourage but I couldn't be bothered to find it, while with Mail, I didn't need to do anything, like with many Mac OS X applications :p

Same reason why I went back to Apple Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Entourage is a far more stable, reliable, and feature-rich program than Mail ever comes close to being. You can argue syncing til you're blue in the face, but Entourage does the work of all those programs you would sync together all by itself (Mail, iCal, Address Book). I love my Mac OS X and Safari, but Mail is an absolute joke compared to Entourage, especially when working with Exchange and LDAP servers. Don't get me wrong; I think Entourage kicks the crap out of Microsoft Outlook on PC and Thunderbird even moreso. It's just simply the best email program there is. All in my opinion of course. :mail:

OP
T
Reaction score
I will play around with it a little more and hopefully I will understand it better. Thanks for the input anyway.

U

UncSki1218

Well...Entourage does have many more feautres than Mail. But its supposed to be like that. Mail is supposed to simple, easy, and only for mail. If they had wanted an all in one app it would have been called MailiCalAddressBook. But its not called that so its not that. Thats not a bad thing. If one thing gets messed up in an all in one app...so does everything else related to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
UncSki1218 said:
Well...Entourage does have many more feautres than Mail. But its supposed to be like that. Mail is supposed to simple, easy, and only for mail. If they had wanted an all in one app it would have been called MailiCalAddressBook. But its not called that so its not that. Thats not a bad thing. If one thing gets messed up in an all in one app...so does everything else related to it.
Actually, I only brought up the feature surplus as a preemptive response to anyone who would try to use syncing as a plus for Mail. My main point is that it is also more reliable and stable when used with Exchange and LDAP servers. And besides, with syncing, wouldn't messing up info in one of those apps mess it up in the other ones as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.