ShouldShould I "quit" the program every time I close it?

Reaction score
Hi

** first of all - I just got a macbook pro and so far the posts in this site appeared in most of my google searches and have been very helpful - Thanks **

now I noticed that when I click the X on the window the window does not quit and I know that if I keep the icon clicked, I can quit it that way

Though this is a kind of "best practice" question: would it be better for the performance if I quit the program every time I close it?

Also if I don't bother quitting the programs every time, with I need to quit all the programs before shutting down or just let the computer do that for me?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Its really up to you about quitting the App or not. Just one thing to remember the more you have open the more resources you are using up.
For a quick way to quit the App completely is use the shortcut Command>Q .

Now if your running Lion it has the new Feature that when you shut down it will do what it needs to so when you restart, everything is the way it was before hand, with Apps the way you left them and such.

HTH

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks that makes sense

Now if your running Lion it has the new Feature that when you shut down it will do what it needs to so when you restart, everything is the way it was before hand, with Apps the way you left them and such.

I have mac os x 10.6.7

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How do I know if I am running Lion

Go to "About This Mac" (Apple Drop Down Menu) and see what OS version you're running. Lion is OS 10.7...Snow Leopard is OS 10.6.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
will my operating system (mac os x 10.6.7) do what it needs if I shutdown without quitting the programs?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
will my operating system (mac os x 10.6.7) do what it needs if I shutdown without quitting the programs?

Are you referring to just shutting down and not quitting? Or are you asking about having the applications come back after a shutdown?

If you shut down without quitting the system should automatically quit the applications for you. However some might ask for you to save your work or whatever and that will override the shutdown.

The applications opening where you left off is a feature that is found in 10.7 Lion. Mac OS X version 10.6 is Snow Leopard and doesn't have that feature.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks crimson that clears that up completely

it is easy, and worth upgrading to 10.7 or is hard, in that it is like changing from vista to windows 7, a completely new thing

Also, I am going to be using this laptop most of the time, should I shut down or simply put it in sleep mode (at night and when ever I am not using it)
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
thanks crimson that clears that up completely

it is easy, and worth upgrading to 10.7 or is hard, in that it is like changing from vista to windows 7, a completely new thing

Also, I am going to be using this laptop most of the time, should I shut down or simply put it in sleep mode (at night and when ever I am not using it)
thanks
I just put mine into sleep mode. The only time i like to restart is after doing MainMenu Maintenance or after a Update.
Like way back at Snow Leopard, between the 10.6.4 - 10.6.5 update was near on 6 months. Never had problems with SL so i know i didn't do Maintenance that often.
And a lot of people on this board are the same. Its a Mac so no need to turn it off all the time unless your anal about saving power :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.