mac to pc (visa versa)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
I run an imac, i just got my ipod a couple of weeks ago. i,ve been rippin' cd's like crazy, but most of my friends run pc. i have a third gen ipod, is there any way to swap info back anf forth between mac and pc? i hooked my ipod to my buddies pc and it said "unreadable drive disk needs to be reformatted" or something of that nature. any help would be appreciated. thanx in advance :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't have an iPod, so I can not help in that area. The problem you are facing, it the file system on your is formated for a mac. If your iPod was formated for a pc then both the mac and pc can read the disk.

If you are just moving data from one to the other a zip drive would work. be sure to you use a zip disk that is formatted for a pc.

If it is music you want to share, then some else, will have to help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep exactly.. while the mac has support for pc's.. pc's do not have support for macs. I remember there being some kind of file browser on the pc that you can download.. I believe it's shareware that allows you to read mac files and mac formatted disks.. so you might want to look into something like that.. no clue on the name though.. I can't remember it.

O

OSIRIS

Murlyn said:
Yep exactly.. while the mac has support for pc's.. pc's do not have support for macs. I remember there being some kind of file browser on the pc that you can download.. I believe it's shareware that allows you to read mac files and mac formatted disks.. so you might want to look into something like that.. no clue on the name though.. I can't remember it.

I think there is an app called iPod Viewer that will let you do it. A friend of mine had a PC formatted iPod that I connected to my Mac and it mounts as a drive, but the drawback is it only sees mp3s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
osiris that would work pretty much anyway since it was pc formatted. the problem is is that pc's cannot read the mac formatted iPods.

I would recommend if you have all of your music still on your mac to just reformat it for windows and put all the songs back on. You can't just transfer songs to the pc though since the iPod doesn't support uploading songs (without extra software that is) I haven't found any software that a pc can take the music off the ipod from but I use iPodRip on my mac for extracting my songs

O

OSIRIS

Gotcha. I guess I read the question wrong. If it's Mac formatted could you plug it up to PC and just transfer the file folder to the iPod like its and external HD? I dunno. I'm shooting from the hip as I've never tried Mac to PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
problem is is that the pc's can not read mac formatted ipods.

Macs can read Mac and PC formatted
PCs can read PC only

When you look in it like an external hd the folders that contain all of your music files are hidden. I think if you enable view hidden folders you can see the folders and files but i have never tried it so I am not too sure

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
so, if i reformat it for pc my mac will still be able to read the ipod? if the ipod is formatted for pc will i still be able to use as normal (i am a GD major and use my ipod to transfer projects from school to home). It will only be able to read mp3's-does that mean just for music, like it won't be able to read aap files and so on, or does that mean only mp3's period no other type of info?

thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you format it for PC's you can do everything that you want to do just on both PC's and Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Here you go.. this should solve all your woes! :)

tp://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1589 (outdated link removed)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.