MS Outlook on Mac behaving strangely...

Reaction score
Getting used to the iMac and liking it more and more but can't really get on with 'Pages' so installed a trial version of MS Office 2011. Thought I'd give Outlook a try since it's included and it does 2 very odd things:

1. It causes the drive to 'tick' while downloading emails (Apple Mail doesn't)
2. It consistently drops one email account with the warning that connection to the server was dropped or lost - but if I download from that account separately it works with no problem.

The above two faults show whether I am running on a wired or wi-fi connection (I've tried both) and I wonder if anybody has any idea at all about either of them? If so, please tell me!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No problem here but I'm using the full version of Office 2011 not the trial. Outlook does have some glitches, however. Keep in mind that this is not the Outlook from Windows that works so well, it's a brand new version 1 of Outlook for the Mac. Also, the full version of Office 2011 has been updated with SP-1 and will be updated again with SP-2 which will address fixes for Lion.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I knew that it was a 'specially designed' version... but that 'ticking' is really irritating and I'm no sure it's good for the drive, either! As for the consistently dropping of one account, I even made it the default account - and it still dropped it.

Most odd...

OP
T
Reaction score
Embarrassing as this is, I just have to tell you what the the first problem was... well, it certainly sounded like it was the drive ticking... until I turned the sound off :-/

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I have that problem with certain yahoo accounts. I think that's a function of the yahoo e-mail not letting you easily forward mail and not Outlook.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmm... but I have my own server and all the accounts are on it. Everything else works well, so it's a mystery.

Reaction score
I have synced my outlook with my hotmail account but when I want to download my emails it starts from the very first one that I have saved, does anyone know how to set it up to download only new emails?

Tks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.