OSX & VMWare Fusion

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
Just a new convert to iMAC.
There is a programe that I use for creating fantastic professional slideshows.
It is called Proshow Producer, but to get iot to run on my iMac, I have been told I can use one of the following methods, either partion with Bootcamp OR VMWare Fusion, now as I want easy transition between my files and all windows, I would think that VMWare Fusion would help.
Is there anyone using VMWare Fusion that could give me a little advice on taking that step.

Cheers:

John Robert McNally
Newcastle on Tyne
UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
VMWare will need a lot of memory to run as you are running both OSX and Windows simultaneously. I found it very slow, painfully slow, when running with only 2gb. With 4gb it runs OK.

Installation of VMWare is easy enough, then you can install Windows 7. There is the OEM version of this that runs for $99 (probably 99 pounds too in the UK). It installed without any issues when I did it.

The biggest issue is I have trouble keeping track of where I am with all the options.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Zacster:
Cheers:- I have 4GB Ram, and have the Windows Home Premium 7 disc (3 PC's). I will give it a go over the weekend, see whats happening when I install.
Cheers:- John Mac.

M

MacInWin

Parallels is another option, and has what is called "Coherent" mode in which the app can be started from the OSX desktop. I've used both VMWare and Parallels and prefer Parallels for now. It seems faster than VMWare to me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you need Windows to only run one or two programs, then I suggest you give VirtualBox from Oracle a look. It's free and doesn't have all the frills and fancy names that Fusion and Parallels have but it works. Here is the LINK.

And if you do decide to buy either Fusion or Parallels, I recommend Fusion. It's more polished, easier to use, and has excellent support. Parallels on the other hand has terrible support and is somewhat finicky. There are things about Parallels which are nice though.

Reaction score
Well... I have Fusion 3.1 on my MBP and the latest Parallels on my iMac. Parallels is FAR quicker than the old version, so maybe that's the one you've seen. I had a problem with not being able to find the included Kaspersky and got a reply from support in 90 minutes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.