How to disable internal webcam...

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Trying to disable the internal cam on my Macbook 13" white unit. I do an online house music show and for the life of me can't disable the internal cam in order for me to install/use an external cam. When I try to go "Live" the site software only sees the internal cam. I have checked iPHOTO and Photobooth, but it neither appear to be utilizing the cam, the green light is not on.
Is there a way to kill a process if either of these programs are indeed using the cam? I am on the 8th page of topics just to see if someone has had a similar issue, still checking online as well.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Macbook 13" white body
Mac OS X - 10.5.8
2.16ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
3gb 667mhz ddr2

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try enabling your webcam instead of disabling the one you have - you might want to start at macam.

OP
D
Reaction score
simply move the QuickTimeUSBVDCDIgitizer.component file to disable it. Just with this coponent, the internal cam will pop up. To disable it, move this file. It is located in the /System » Library » QuickTime folder.

Thanks for the response ssoopan, have tried this. Didn't work :(

OP
D
Reaction score
Try enabling your webcam instead of disabling the one you have - you might want to start at macam.

Thanks for the response bobtomay!
From the program settings I use for the live streaming, I select whatever cam appears in the pulldown. In that pull down there is only one that shows up, that is for the internal mac cam, not my external when attached.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for the response bobtomay!
From the program settings I use for the live streaming, I select whatever cam appears in the pulldown. In that pull down there is only one that shows up, that is for the internal mac cam, not my external when attached.

Which is why I directed you to a site with webcam drivers for OS X.
Also check at the manufacturers site of your webcam.

OP
D
Reaction score
Tried both. Neither worked.
I believe I might have figured it out. Going to try to upgrade the OS.
Yay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.