Ie help!!!

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to mac and so far so good, I'm really liking my MacBook Pro.
So lets get down to it. I'm in the Army and have several sites that i have to use for work. There is one site in particular that is telling me that it was designed for IE 6 or higher and that i do not have the correct browser (well of course not I'm using Safari). Is there a program that i can run / download... that will allow me to view and use IE only websites. I've tried Firefox with a IE add on but that didn't work. i see on the web that you can still download IE5 but that won't work either. Any insight that you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Have you tried Firefox without the IE plug-in. My son has a website where he states "Best viewed with IE" but I use firefox without the plug-in and it works just fine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It depends on how the page is designed. If it uses ActiveX, it won't matter what browser you use on a Mac simply because ActiveX requires IE. If it doesn't use ActiveX and the web designer set an artificial block, you can change what's called your "user agent string" (an identifier that includes the name and version of the browser you're using). To do this in Safari, you first need to enable the Develop menu - Safari > Preferences > Advanced > check "Show Develop menu in menu bar." Once that is done, go to Develop > User Agent and choose one of the IE ones.

OP
T
Reaction score
It depends on how the page is designed. If it uses ActiveX, it won't matter what browser you use on a Mac simply because ActiveX requires IE. If it doesn't use ActiveX and the web designer set an artificial block, you can change what's called your "user agent string" (an identifier that includes the name and version of the browser you're using). To do this in Safari, you first need to enable the Develop menu - Safari > Preferences > Advanced > check "Show Develop menu in menu bar." Once that is done, go to Develop > User Agent and choose one of the IE ones.

I tired that as well with no luck. how do i check to see if a web site is using Activex. if that is the case i might just have to adjust to not being able to use that web site.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Contact the web developer/webmaster/web admin and ask them.

If you really need the website, there are some ways to run IE on your Mac. You could try CrossOver (see list of supported versions of IE here) or you could actually install Windows on your machine through either Boot Camp or one of the various virtual machine products.

OP
T
Reaction score
Or you could buy Parallels and run IE in what they call Coherence mode.

Great news i think... I installed Crossover and IE 7. Success. but i did this all on a trial version. so will this not work in 30 days or is this permanent? Thanks for the help. Also any idea how much crossover costs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Price: $39.95

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.