Mail & Ical

Reaction score
Hi just bought, and getting to know, a mac-book air with lion as the OS. This my first mac, and yes I can't see myself going back to windows.

I like both mail and Ical and would like to put them to good use. However, in gmail, which I use at the moment, one of the most common tasks I do, is make emails I need to act on in the future 'tasks' and these tasks then show on the appropriate day in Google Calendar.

My question is, is it possible to do this, or something similar between mail and ical, perhaps as a reminder with a link to the email in qestion? If it is, it is well hidden.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at this help article from Google about syncing Google Calendar to iCal and see if it's something you can use. LINK

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for this, but I have mail and Ical syncing with gmail/calendar. It is the specific problem with getting mail to put a reminder into Ical with the reminder linked back to the original email.

Currently when using gmail normally in a browser when I want to act on a mail in the future I add the mail to tasks and tasks writes a reminder in Calendar. When it comes time to act on it, I see it in Calendar click on it and the email opens. I want to be able to do something similar between mail and ical. I know I can do this in outlook but don't want to use that option, I would rather carry on using gmail in Chrome outlook is to 'busy' for me.

Thanks anyway

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah sorry I don't know of another way without using Outlook. I'm currently not using my copy of Outlook 2011 because my mail needs are less complex than they used to be. I'll keep an eye open to see if I can come up with something else that might work for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yep, that is what I thought, but you have to ask. Perhaps the new set-up of reminders on Ios5 with Icloud might offer something...

Hey **!!! Back to Google.

Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.