Hacked mail

DIR

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to Mac (and this forum)

My mail (MSN hotmail) appears to have been hacked - a mail was sent from my mailbox this morning to all my contacts!

My iMac has a parallels partition protected by bullguard, so I have scanned but found nothing

on the Mac side, Ive scanned using ClamXav again finding nothing

I've changed my password

Anyone any ideas on what else I might do - I don't want to use my mail currently as it may just send some further random junk to my contacts!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Was the offending email actually in your 'sent items' on your mail account?

I only ask because it is child's play to "spoof" your email address as the "from" address. In fact, it's quite common practice. There may be nothing wrong with your computer or email account. It could be that someone else's computer was infected with a virus that "harvested" your email address from that person's contacts and is now sending email as your email address.

OP
D

DIR

Reaction score
Thanks for helping -

Nothing was recorded in sent mail - the first I knew was I received a number of postmaster undelivered messages (for contacts that are no longer valid)

Also as I have more than one mail box my other mail box showed I had sent the mail (i.e. from my account)

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.