Why is my external dvd burner sooo SLOW!!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some tech support.

I own a Mac mini.
I use Roxio Toast (burn software)

Just recently my external LG DVD burner died. it was hooked up as firewire. Worked great 8X dvd+r's on a full 4.7 gig dvdr would be completed withing 6-7 minutes.

Since my LG died. I got a new external burner.
It is a FD (Fantom Drives) model# Aopen DUW1616. This unit is only USB 2.0.

So I hook up he FD to my mini directly to its USB port. Roxio detected and was able to burn and media works. The problem is thats it is sooo darn slow!! Toast says it will complete burn in like 6 min and 32 sec. Well them 6/32 is more like 24 minutes total completion to done.

So I did a little test. Pulled out dragon burn. Since dragon burn has a timer. the dvd+r that I recorded w/ dragon burn was set at 8x and it took over 25 minutes to complete.

The DVD media I am using is FUJI 8X. These are the same media I used in my old LG which worked great and burned fast.

So my question is what is the problem?? Why is my burner taking so long to burn a 4.7 DVD+R media???

Here is my burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827191011

Thanks 4 any help. :doctor:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is just an off the wall guess but I have seen this happen. It could be your burner is not supported fully by OSX and maybe it's really burning at a much slower speed. Otherwise I do not know what is going on. I have an external Sony USB 2.0 or Firewire and either way on my Mini it goes full speed with either CDR's or DVD while burning. The Sony is for sure supported. Sorry if this does not help but it's a possibliity.

OP
shift
Reaction score
so what can I do to fix??

The FD burner I got says its mac supported. Is there any steps I need to do to get it to fully work at best??

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
http://www.patchburn.de/ check it out

also a note on usb 2.0 ...although it can be very fast its speeds are not always at said very fast speed. the speed can fluctuate from being extremely slow to extremely fast. this might be where your slow burn times are coming from.
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I went to the website of the maker of your drive. On the USB 2.0 version no where does it say Mac or OSX. On the Firewire version it says clearly Mac osx 10.2.8 and above but the USB version says PC only even on the spec sheet. like CoachZ said, try patchburn. See if things get better. I also agree on the USB 2.0 part but have really not had trouble at that speed on my sony and USB 2.0.

There is another thing I just thought of also and if everything else fails, it can't hurt to try it. Maybe your NEW burner does not like that brand of Media. Seen that happen all too many times, and it's going slow. Had that with some Memorex 4x blanks on my Plextor 16X Dual Layer.

OP
shift
Reaction score
coach_z said:
http://www.patchburn.de/ check it out

also a note on usb 2.0 ...although it can be very fast its speeds are not always at said very fast speed. the speed can fluctuate from being extremely slow to extremely fast. this might be where your slow burn times are coming from.
-chris

I have 10.3.9 OSX. I dont have Tiger.

Which would I have to download?? :(

OP
shift
Reaction score
Dtravis which Sony model you got? And were u buy it at?

If anything.. I think I will go with a LACIE
New Egg is really good about exchanging. I pay alittle more, but I will not get to mess with so much BS.

OP
shift
Reaction score
Well just rebooted after the pathburn. Still performs the same.

a 4.3gig starts off @ 6 min 32 sec. Count down is slow. For every second from TOAST is 3 seconds lost. So I am loosing 3 secs per every 1 seconds. So 6min 32seconds times 3 is a really bad time of dvd burn completion. YUCK!!

So its a little over 20 minutes to burn a 4.3 gig dvd+r.

DVD burner is going back to its store. :eek:neye:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go LaCie get a Firewire drive. I also have a LaCie Firewire 52x and it's FAST as on any P4. The Sony I have it a model or so back so you will not find it new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.