school's wireless problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 ghz Powerbook 15.2 inch screen 1 gig ram
ok this is a longshot that someone can help but...

When I use my laptop in my room at school (internet plug plugged in) it works fine, i need to have norton running to use my schools network (mac or no mac).

BUT when I try to use airport express in my room I get re-directed by my schools network to a school website that says I must have anti-virus running to go on the internet....I do have norton running...

Is it possible that the network is looking for virus protection on the airport express? Anyone know how to get by this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I don't know much about the capabilities of the express, but if you have the option try to set it up as a network bridge.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacsWork said:
I don't know much about the capabilities of the express, but if you have the option try to set it up as a network bridge.

How would i do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
From Apple support Site FAQ

Question: Can AirPort Express act as a bridge?

Answer: AirPort Express can act as a bridge in three different ways:

If you have an existing wired network, it can bridge this network to wireless clients.
If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wired clients.
If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wireless clients (or "wirelessly extend" the range of the network).

Use the Airport Setup Utility.

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a wireless setup in their room?

It may be that the network doesn't allow for students to add wireless extensions. By requiring antivirus on the machine connected via ethernet it may be limiting it to just computers, stopping you from setting up your own private network thru wireless.

I'd ask tech support at school if they allow students to create their own wireless networks

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacsWork said:
From Apple support Site FAQ

Question: Can AirPort Express act as a bridge?

Answer: AirPort Express can act as a bridge in three different ways:

If you have an existing wired network, it can bridge this network to wireless clients.
If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wired clients.
If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wireless clients (or "wirelessly extend" the range of the network).

Use the Airport Setup Utility.

Awesome worked!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but how do i setup Airtunes?

Reaction score
Guitarist said:
but how do i setup Airtunes?

Open Airport Admin Utility and configure your Airport Express. Goto the Music tab and make sure your check the "enable airtunes on this base station". Use the name in the field or create your own "speaker" name. You can create a password if you want.

When you open up iTunes, in the lower right hand corner youll see a tab, next to the equalizer, that allows you to click on it. You should see the name you created for your AirTunes speaker. If everything works out fine, iTunes will try to connect to it and your music will play fine wirelessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Caution, if any portion of the network you are using is 802.11B only, the rest, including the express, will default to 802.11B vice 802.11G. Almost everyone I know who has tried streaming music on a express connected to an 802.11B network has reported the wireless stream as being choppy and unreliable, that includes me.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
Caution, if any portion of the network you are using is 802.11B only, the rest, including the express, will default to 802.11B vice 802.11G. Almost everyone I know who has tried streaming music on a express connected to an 802.11B network has reported the wireless stream as being choppy and unreliable, that includes me.

Everything is working...Airport express = amazing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.