airport express and xbox live

H

hunnster

can i have my computer in my office connect to an airport express in another room and send the ethernet connection from my computer to the airports ethernet port to play xbox live in another room

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If I understand you correctly,...yes you can.

OP
H

hunnster

can you guide me through it

i have a g5 imac with airport card in it and i only have 1 express no extreme airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
My bad,...

I misread your post. You will need another wired router of some kind to make this work.

Sorry for the false sense of hope.

OP
H

hunnster

do you mean a wireless router because i have a wired router a hub and a dsl modem all wired

OP
F

Fallooza

you could buy anouther Airport Express, add it to your wireless network and use its ethnet port ta run to your Xbox.

OP
H

hunnster

thought that would be the case but getting a belking wireless router we'll see if that works thx anyways

this one

belkin

reckon it will work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I personally recommend Linksys, you can get them for a really good price and they work great. I got a WRT54G, wired + wireless.

OP
H

hunnster

i have the belkin wireless thing but now how do i set it up to share the internet over the express's ethernet port could you guide me thru it or show me a guide on the internet somewhere

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
MacsWork said:
My bad,...

I misread your post. You will need another wired router of some kind to make this work.

Sorry for the false sense of hope.

In order for the Express to run WDS he needs to have another Express or an Extreme Base Station on the LAN for it to join. I don't think the Apple Airport devices can join other wireless hardware such as the Linksys to create a WDS system.

But to add a little insight, I do have this setup at my house in such a manner. My Extreme is the main base station, and there is an Express in my entertainment center with the XBox plugged in the CAT5 port, and a fiber optic cable going from the Express to my surround receiver for "AirTunes"
All the Xbox does is grab an IP via DHCP, no additional configuration was required.

OP
H

hunnster

so there is no way to do it? unless i have a express. couldnt i run the express in client mode in some way and how would i do that if i can

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
hunnster said:
so there is no way to do it? unless i have a express. couldnt i run the express in client mode in some way and how would i do that if i can

Possibly, if your Mac is connected to the internet via ethernet, you can join the AE wireless network and choose to share your ethernet connection to the wireless LAN in Sharing Preferences. You'll have to setup the AE and XBox accoringly to the IP subnet given by your Mac for Sharing via AE.

OP
H

hunnster

ah no worries guys i fiddled with some of the wds settings in my router its not an airport and it all works sweet now thx anyways

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.