Finally Completing my Apple Conversion

Reaction score
Well, I'm finally able to say that I've completely converted from Wintel toys to the adult world of Mac products by purchasing a 13" MacBook Air today online. ;D

I honestly wish I had converted sooner, consider I've switched over every other major electronic product to Apple over the last few years, but I'm glad I finally did it. I suppose in retrospect it was the pricepoint that kept me from switching my computing needs to Apple, but this year when I finally sat down and decided to get the computer with the specs and features that I wanted, I was shocked to find that Apple was not only less expensive in the long run, but in the short run as well. I was considering the Samsung Series 9 (I know, don't flame me too hard) until I compared specs and cost and tried them both in person. needless to say I feel I made the right choice in the Air.

Now that I think back on it, I'm amazed at how long I actually put up with other products. Not that Apple is perfect by any means, but when it comes down to functionality, value and seamless integration of multiple product lines, Apple just doesn't seem to have any serious competition. The fact that my iPhone, Apple TV and incoming MacBook Air all will work together in perfect harmony (as well as providing complimentary aesthetics) pleases me to no end. Heck, I spent years dealing with and overpaying for the DLO HomeDock series of products to play my iTunes library over my TV/home theater before I finally caught on to the functionality and cost effectiveness of the Apple TV.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly eager to unbox and set up my Air when it arrives Thursday or Friday. :Cool:

The only drawback I have is that I have to install a Windows VM in order to run some programs that don't have Mac functionality that are required for one of my careers, but at least with Apple I have an effective option.

Forgive the long rant for a first post, I'm just a little excited, haha.

Cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

And congratulations on purchasing a MacBook Air. Stay tuned to our forums for any questions you may have. Also, be sure to read our Sticky notices at the top of each forum. They contain a wealth of good information.

Have fun, and return often.

Reaction score
You will not regret it. It is the best move I did back when I switched and now I'm never going back to PC other than work where I don't get an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I've completely converted from Wintel toys to the adult world of Mac products

Congrats... although this makes me feel a need to wash my hands. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I think you will enjoy it and the trackpad is like no other besides having an OS thats fun to work with.

Reaction score
Well, I'm finally able to say that I've completely converted from Wintel toys to the adult world of Mac products by purchasing a 13" MacBook Air today online. ... The only drawback I have is that I have to install a Windows VM in order to run some programs that don't have Mac functionality that are required for one of my careers, but at least with Apple I have an effective option.

I understand your excitement. Going through this myself with bated breath, hoping it's not just a bubble. So far it's been very worthwhile. About Windows VM: I installed Parallels and Windows 7 and have been very pleased.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, it's been few days and the high hasn't worn off yet. I'm definitely glad I finally made the choice to switch; now I'm wishing I had done so sooner.

Yeah, the trackpad is pretty darn awesome, I have to admit. I was a little nervous about not having a mouse at first, but now that I've gotten used to trackpad gestures and the time that they save, I never see any need for a mouse for my purposes.

Parallels has been pretty decent so far. I'm not thrilled about having to use it because of the enormous amount of disk space it takes up, but unfortunately I don't have a choice. Maybe one day there will be a Lotus Forms viewer for Mac or maybe the Army will switch to a different forms management program, but until then, Parallels will have to do. Coherence mode is pretty nice, though, it's almost like Windows isn't even there other than the programs/files that I need.

Finally got Exchange 2003 to work with the Mail/iCal Apps yesterday, too. Thanks to the awesome reps at the Genius Bar for pointing me to DavMail.

Overall I doubt I could be happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
I switched to Apple about 2 years ago when I found a g3 imac on craigslist for $20.00 it had a 500 mhz processor and a 12 gb hard drive. it was running os x panther 10.3.9 and thought it was great until my buddy gave me his os x 10.4 disks and used tiger on it. then i got a g4 ibook 1.2 ghz laptop replaced my ibm think pad for portable use when i go to the starbucks. used those machines for 2 years and never once had to do any of the crap i always had to do on the windows crap. now i have a 2006 imac core duo running snow leopard it had tiger on it when i got it and it seems like snow leopard made it even faster. it has a few of the vertical lines in the screen but they dont show up in the web pages yet so they dont really bother me and if the do ill just plug it into a seperate monitor with the mini dvi to vga adapter i have,. I have since switched my mom to a mac mini and she even says os x snow leopard is easier to use than windows and more stable hasnt crashed once for her and she really doesnt know anything about computers except what i showed her so she can use it. a person cannot go wrong with a mac and i know i will never use a windows crap box again!

Reaction score
I too have recently switched over to a MBP 13 in the last week or so, I got myself an iPad a few weeks ago for when I am at work and to get Internet on the move I tether to my iphone4 so I have the set, soon I will purchase iMac too. They are great, my wife is now thinking of changing to mac too as she has an iphone4 and our kids have iPods and iPod touch and we all love them. They just work brilliantly, I personally cannot wait for ios5 to be released then everything will be even better! I have not regretted switching as everything just works so quick and easily, well so far anyway :Blushing:

Enjoy it!

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
When my iMac was delivered 5 years ago I waited until later in the day so I could focus on getting it up and running without interruption. What I didn't realize is that it would take all of 15 minutes, including the unboxing. I plugged the mouse and keyboard in, booted it up and entered some user info and was on the net wirelessly.

M

MacInWin

What really struck me about my first iMac was that after firing it up, it found the network, identified it for me and with one click, it was configured. That was sweet! Since then, I've added Mini and two MBPs, all three wirelessly and they configured with one click, too. That's what "it just works" is all about!

Reaction score
What really struck me about my first iMac was that after firing it up, it found the network, identified it for me and with one click, it was configured. That was sweet! Since then, I've added Mini and two MBPs, all three wirelessly and they configured with one click, too. That's what "it just works" is all about!
Same experience here. This simplicity is what it's all about, Apple. Don't lose that focus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.