More Advanced System Audio Options

Reaction score
Hey Everbody,

I'm looking for a more advanced set of system-wide audio options than the standard system preferences panel can offer. Preferably something like the itunes audio options where you can set the preamp higher or lower and get more/less volume, tuning options(bass/treble), etc. The reason for this inquiry comes from frustration of internet videos and netflix glitches were the sound drops out or if I'm running the sound through a series of adapters to get a certain effect. Is there an app or plugin that does something like this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions given!

Lion-15in-Macbook-Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Audio Pro Tools version 8: LINK A bit pricey depending on which version you want, but well worth the cost if you're serious about your audio requirements.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I believe it is possible to use Audio Hijack to apply effects to just about any audio (including system sounds).

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh you're totally right. I already have hijack and after messing with it for 30min or so I've settled with something that might work. It's a bit of a hack job but I guess it's only for trouble shooting situations anyway. Thanks for the clue!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome.

Mind if I ask what exactly you were trying to too? I'm always looking for something interesting.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I'm running my laptop through a projector to a set of external speakers. Works perfectly most of the time. Stereo sound, HD video on an 8 foot screen right in my bedroom. It's sick but sometimes Netflix and other internet videos can have messed up sound (by sometimes I mean a lot of the time). Like the voices drop and the sound effects are crazy loud, or the sound drops so low all together that it's impossible to enjoy. And of course the middle man of the projector doesn't help situations. Tried troubleshooting in other ways, messing with drivers, plugins, reloading all kinds of things; never works. But this seems to be able to boost the internal output enough without distortion so that the external speakers output back at normal volume. First world problems right?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get it now. Most of the problems you're experiencing are not unique to Netflix or Internet video. My wife and I have noticed similar problems with a lot of commercials and other TV programs.

Part of the problem IMHO is poor audio mixing though I am not nearly an expert in that area. It doesn't help for example that the speech is often appears raised in relation to the rest of the audio. This often causes me to turn the volume down. When the program comes back the volume is now too low and must be adjusted again.

Reaction score
I think what we are all after is some way to normalize the system audio (between apps and audio sources) just like between tracks in iTunes. I'm looking for a utility that does this as well, but disappointed that it is not available through the system itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.