Alternatives to PhotoShop

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm after some image manipulation software along the lines of photoshop, but don't have the money to buy adobe's offering, and probably don't need the advanced features.

I'm happy spending a bit of money, not looking for a freebie, are there any decent alternatives available?

Thanks

Jude

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Second vote here for Adobe Photoshop Elements.

I've been a Photoshop user since PC version 4, and these days I own both Photoshop and Elements for both PC and Mac, and I use Elements far more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Yes, Elements 3.0 IMO is a great piece of software that you can get for around 70.00. If your are a student go to www.academicsuperstore.com (thing that is the link).

Another free offering is Picasso, do a google search for that one. Several people I know like that over gimp.

L

lil

If you want to create art from scratch, try out Painter IX - it's owned by Corel these days, and a free trial is available for download.

It is a killer application (at least in my book, brings me much joy every day being able to paint on my Mac), ideal for those who like to create works of art from scratch.

http://www.corel.co.uk

I know it's about £225 for the full retail version with box, manual and support.

I personally use an older version of Photoshop, v5 on the 7200 and v7 on the PowerBook; it's fine for what I need to see if you can get an older version. As a hint, if you were to say pick up Photoshop 5 for £10 ($15), you could buy the upgrade to CS2 for £149 (not sure what Adobe charges in the US).

Photoshop 7 and Painter IX are definitely my most used apps on the Mac. (Bar Word and TextWrangler..)

HTH

Vicky :flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
My favorite and easier to use than PS, is Fireworks. 8 just came out. Trial on the Apple website!

Reaction score
tried checking out that fireworks I can't find it for a trial run

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.