• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Splitting videos without converting

Reaction score
Hey there, I want to split some movies I have in smaller parts (<4GB) so I can play them on my PS3 via a FAT32 formatted external HDD, but I've been looking for a program that can do it all day and still haven't found one. I've found some that were capable of doing it, but those also immediately converted the video which would take 10+ hours and I don't need to convert anything. There must be some application out there that's capable of JUST splitting the video out there right?
The format of most of the movies I want to slit is .mkv

C

chas_m

1. Open movie in MPEG Streamclip (free).

2. Work out how "long" about 4GB of movie is (this will vary based on format of the video file). Simple math (total file size / running time = MB per minute).

3. Cut yourself a chunk of movie around that size. Save it under a new file name.

4. Repeat as needed.

OP
I
Reaction score
1. Open movie in MPEG Streamclip (free).

2. Work out how "long" about 4GB of movie is (this will vary based on format of the video file). Simple math (total file size / running time = MB per minute).

3. Cut yourself a chunk of movie around that size. Save it under a new file name.

4. Repeat as needed.

Thank you for your reply but this is not exactly what I meant. The trimming/ cutting works fine, but if I want to save my selection I can only save it as MOV AVI MP4 or DV which is not what I want. I just want to keep the mkv extension and don't convert anything! I just want to cut a piece of the video and then be done with it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and if I do, please tell me so.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but this is what is says when I try to add a file to TSmuxer:
Can't detect stream type. File name: "/Users/jcool/Iron.Man.2.2010.720p.BluRay.x264-WiKi.mkv"
:(

OP
I
Reaction score
I tried mkvtoolnix (MKVmerge) now and that one worked actually!! in abut 10min. it split the 8GB movie in 3 parts without quality loss :D I've been looking for this a long time and finally found it, thank you:)

OP
I
Reaction score
Aah I thought I finally did it but the files dont show up on my ps3 :(
I split them using MKVToolnix and the standard format for that program is .mk3d (?) I just changed the file name to .mkv using the browse button (and then muxing) and that worked, and my Mac plays the file but my ps3 doesnt even though it supports .mkv files :((

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.