• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Earthquake!!!!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
My first one. Naturally, I had just taken off my shirt standing on the 3rd floor of an old office building with the nurse poised to strike with a syringe (allergy shot) when it struck. I do not exaggerate. My first earthquake - and I'm in no hurry to experience a second one. It was pretty freaky!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Heck of a thing since it was felt in MA..wife called and said so..I'm about 35 miles west of Boston and we didn't feel anything here..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Epicenter was about 30-ish miles away from here. Our entire building shook, and we evacuated for about 20 minutes while the safety team did a quick once-over of the building. I know this area is supposed to be seismically active, but I've never felt an earthquake before... kind of odd feeling.

And now I have Carole King singing "I feel the earth move under my feet..." playing over and over in my head.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac/10.5.11
I feel for you. I lived in CA for a time in the 60's and they were a common event. I remember my first one-I was walking out of the kitchen when it hit and the whole house began to shake. Dishes and cans of food were falling out of the cabinets and people were yelling "stand in a doorway". That's all well and good but it is near impossible to move during the quake so getting to a doorway is a feat in itself. It is such an out-of-control feeling. I don't miss it one bit!!

Glad you are okay Brian!

OP
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It was in Mineral, VA - I have an Uncle that lives there - will be interested to see what he has to say about it. Mineral is only about 100ish miles from here.

OP
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel for you. I lived in CA for a time in the 60's and they were a common event. I remember my first one-I was walking out of the kitchen when it hit and the whole house began to shake. Dishes and cans of food were falling out of the cabinets and people were yelling "stand in a doorway". That's all well and good but it is near impossible to move during the quake so getting to a doorway is a feat in itself. It is such an out-of-control feeling. I don't miss it one bit!!

Glad you are okay Brian!

LOL - Thanks Bonnie. The buildings all evacuated. They're closing a bunch of the elementary schools down early so the buildings can be inspected. After all that - I still didn't get my allergy shot!! :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Earthquake devastation in DC...

It's horrible...

photo.PNG

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
LOL - Thanks Bonnie. The buildings all evacuated. They're closing a bunch of the elementary schools down early so the buildings can be inspected. After all that - I still didn't get my allergy shot!! :Not-Amused:

I have kids within about 30 mile radius of you, so will be interesting tonight to get their reactions.

OP
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have kids within about 30 mile radius of you, so will be interesting tonight to get their reactions.

Well - I can tell you that for about 10 seconds or so - it was pretty freaky. The building shook pretty significantly, but people that were outside didn't notice it nearly as much. Checking FB - since I have friends and relatives at the epicenter - I'm just reading about walls and ceilings cracking and things falling off of walls but that's about it. There aren't really any buildings to speak of in that area anyway. It's out in the middle of nowhere.

My mom works in downtown Richmond on the 6th floor of a building and said it was a pretty unsettling experience. Evidently it's the largest quake in this area in 100 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We live in Ohio and still felt it. I was working on my bike rack, and was balancing my weight on it while working, when I noticed some kind of weird movement caused me to unbalance and fall. I didn't realize it was an earthquake until my mom comes out of the house yelling..."EARTHQUAKKKEEE!!!" lol. She's a drama queen! My sister works in DC and said that it was big enough to cause the water jug dispenser to tip over at her work building(9th floor of the Verizon building on 19th and M/N street if I remember correctly).

I wish it was a bit bigger so I could actually feel it. That was a let down considering how many people went nuts!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Well - I can tell you that for about 10 seconds or so - it was pretty freaky. The building shook pretty significantly, but people that were outside didn't notice it nearly as much. Checking FB - since I have friends and relatives at the epicenter - I'm just reading about walls and ceilings cracking and things falling off of walls but that's about it. There aren't really any buildings to speak of in that area anyway. It's out in the middle of nowhere.

My mom works in downtown Richmond on the 6th floor of a building and said it was a pretty unsettling experience. Evidently it's the largest quake in this area in 100 years.

My daughter was on lunch break on a park bench in Dupont Circle when it hit (a real blessing since her office is in the basement of an old buildiing). She said it felt like being in an electric massage chair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hope everyone is ok.

Ive been in 1 in Darwin in about 94. We had had a few (as you do in a tropic zone) and as i got up from my recliner, sitting back watching V8 Supercars, i did i fell backwards.
Yes then i was the fool drunk stumbling everywhere, but back then i was 115KG and people saw other things where moving. Quickly we worked out it was a quake, but bc of the size of me then, (i am now nice 90kg 6'2') they ridiculed me saying "It was robbo falling that rocked the place".
So yea as you can see it wasn't a big one, but it was felt.
Stay safe

Cheers

OP
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got home - some of our picture frames are pretty crooked and it looks like some dishes actually were knocked into the sink. My iMac screen is all the way down - but it slowly does that on its own anyway. No damage fortunately. I'm getting ready to go check the gas line for leaks as soon as I can find some matches - if I don't post back - you know I found one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After spending four years in Tokyo and many years in and around LA which are earthquake prone areas, you never really get used to them. Each and every time, you think to yourself: "Is this the big one"? For the poor folks in northern Japan early this year, the big one struck with a vengeance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You're all pansies. I live in SoCal and 5.8 is nothing. Now if it rains here...THAT'S a disaster!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
felt it in downtown providence...most of the buildings evacuated for about 20 minutes..but no damage to report

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're all pansies. I live in SoCal and 5.8 is nothing. Now if it rains here...THAT'S a disaster!
I was waiting for someone from the west coast to chime in.

OP
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was waiting for someone from the west coast to chime in.

Yes...if it rains...or God forbid, someone tosses a cigarette out the window. :p

I basically posted this on FB but if 5.9 is a 'minor' earthquake - I have no desire to experience a major one. You guys in Cali can keep them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And now I have Carole King singing "I feel the earth move under my feet..." playing over and over in my head.
And somewhere, someone asked, "Did the earth move for you too?"

It was in Mineral, VA - I have an Uncle that lives there - will be interested to see what he has to say about it. Mineral is only about 100ish miles from here.
I have relatives in a small Midwest community that was the epicenter of a quake a couple of years ago - not far from the New Madrid fault. They had things knocked off shelves, some broken glass, but no major damage.

I didn't feel this one, but some folks around here did, a thousand miles away! The geology in the eastern US is such that the zone affected is larger than in the west, as I heard on the news.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.