iMac - Viewing images when importing - or not as the case may be.

Reaction score
Recent convert here although still very much too early to confirm whether I will stay or revert back to windows.

I need help and bl..dy loads of it. However, just for now does anyone or.. can anyone, help me.

In short, I'm having a tough time time getting my head around the fact I cannot see any thumbnails when looking to import either RAW or JPEG files to photoshop. In brief, I'll empty my Canon's CF card and upload all images to a certain folder. Open up PS and then will look to select certain files that I wish to edit/work on. With win xp and 7 I'd get a window showing me the images (thumbnails) so I can make my choice accordingly. With my lovely new sexy iMac I don't appear to have this facility OR...... it could be me.

This is where I need help. Am I able to have this functionality as at the moment all I see is a whole list of the file names which is pretty bl..dy useless for me as I have no way of identifying which ones are which?

Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can switch 'views' in Finder with the buttons on along the top of the finder window. Much like Windows. There are thumbnail and coverview views that will help.

However, if you're using Photoshop why not browse all the images in Adobe Bridge?

In addition have a look through Apple 101 for switchers (it's been nearly 4 years for me now and would go back without a fight).

Also this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html#post1082149

OP
M
Reaction score
You can switch 'views' in Finder with the buttons on along the top of the finder window. Much like Windows. There are thumbnail and coverview views that will help.

However, if you're using Photoshop why not browse all the images in Adobe Bridge?

In addition have a look through Apple 101 for switchers (it's been nearly 4 years for me now and would go back without a fight).

Also this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html#post1082149

Thanks for your reply and these links. I'll check them out. I did fiddle with the finder window and could only see that this is for when viewing the whole folder not when importing. I also, after posting this, thought of Bridge, will check later. However, I've just noticed that it's the same when in e-mail, trying to mail clients and "guess" which images are the one I want. Ok, sure I could re-create a whole folder and just drop ALL the images that I need to mail to the client, but that's just more work. I was under the impression switching to a Mac would improve my workflow NOT make it harder :(

Ok, I'm not bashing Macs (YET) unless I can work out whether it's me, user error, or indeed that's just how it is?

Any other takers to help?

M

MacInWin

What email program? in Mail (from Apple), when you write a new message and click on the paperclip icon to add an image, you get a finder window with a top bar just like in Finder itself. One of the option icons will show the contents of whatever directory you happen to be in in a panoramic mode. In that window, you will get icons for non-image files or thumbnails of the image files. Pick the ones you want to attach to the email. Works just like you would expect it to.

So right now, it looks like it's you.

EDIT: I added a picture of the view option icons with the panorama one highlighted.

screen-capture-1.png

OP
M
Reaction score
What email program? in Mail (from Apple), when you write a new message and click on the paperclip icon to add an image, you get a finder window with a top bar just like in Finder itself. One of the option icons will show the contents of whatever directory you happen to be in in a panoramic mode. In that window, you will get icons for non-image files or thumbnails of the image files. Pick the ones you want to attach to the email. Works just like you would expect it to.

So right now, it looks like it's you.

EDIT: I added a picture of the view option icons with the panorama one highlighted.

screen-capture-1.png

Thanks for this Jake, I will give it a try. I use Gmail but have set up Macmail? Postage stamp icon in my dock. Are there various versions? I am looking to upgrade tomorrow to this Lion OS and I understand there are some changes/updates to the e-mail program.

Thanks for the screen dump btw, I really do hope it is me mate ;)

C

chas_m

It's user error, I think. You can quickly look at any folder of images by simply selecting them (cmd-a) and press the spacebar (QuickLook). You can also set the folder to display by icon and make the icons up to 512x512 via a slider bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.