• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Not happy with how Apple treats us Aussies

Reaction score
I have to say, whilst I love Apple products, it really sucks having to pay a premium price on everything just because i'm an Aussie. The entire Apple product range is on average 10% more expensive than the equivalent found in the US or Hong Kong (iTunes downloads are near twice the price). With the exchange rate near enough to AU$1.00 = US$1.10, it's a double blow.

So for example - in the US you pay US$300 for the new FCP X. In Australia we're charged AU$320 - which works out to be US$350.

Apple Aus lost a sale to me recently as I just bought a brand new 2011 2.2 i7 MBP w/8G RAM for AU$2200 shipped (with warranty) via a HK seller. The equivalent machine here would retail at ~AU$2750. I saved around $500 by avoiding local retailers.

How does Apple justify this? Isn't it an example of price fixing (which is illegal here in Aus)? Australia is closer to China than the US afterall, so it can't be logistical costs, and there's no logistical cost in software downloads.... hmmm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The issue is certainly known by the right sources and matters will hopefully change in the near future. But don't kid yourself by thinking that it's just Apple who does this. I wish they didn't do it at all, and set a better example, but there is far worse gouging going on, especially by Adobe. Check out this article:

Apple boss confronts rip-off claims - technology | Stuff.co.nz

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's kinda the same up here in the far north, a lot of things you buy in stores are twice as expensive as down south.
Kind of hard to feel bad for you when the median incomes in the Yukon/NWT are the highest in the country (source). ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Those are government employees that make 71k a year, not us normal workers :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I guess you know what your next job is then. ;)

To the OP - it's not price fixing. Apple can't change the prices of products on a daily basis to accommodate constantly changing currency values. Australia isn't the only country that experiences this either.

OP
C
Reaction score
^^ I don't expect daily adjustments, but exchange rates have been at parity for at least a year and this trend isn't a short term bubble. A year is plenty long enough for Apple to sit on their haunches and be non reactive - something has to give to bring pricing back into line with other more competitive markets.

How can it not be considered price fixing? The Apple range is global and standardised, and better prices are available, but I can only buy within a defined channel at a fixed price :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How does Apple justify this? Isn't it an example of price fixing (which is illegal here in Aus)? Australia is closer to China than the US afterall, so it can't be logistical costs, and there's no logistical cost in software downloads.... hmmm.

Items sold in different countries, sell for different prices for different reasons...it's NOT just a matter of currency conversion.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not price fixing if Apple isn't in cahoots with another company to fix the prices of their products. Apple, as a company acting independently, has every right to sell their products for whatever they want. Granted, I don't have an understanding of Australian law (or any law beyond my own jurisdiction for that matter) but I'm willing to bet that without evidence that Apple is artificially fixing the prices in cooperation with other companies, it's not price fixing.

Reaction score
Considering they're teaming up with AT&T now, maybe that explains it all..

The issue is certainly known by the right sources and matters will hopefully change in the near future. But don't kid yourself by thinking that it's just Apple who does this. I wish they didn't do it at all, and set a better example, but there is far worse gouging going on, especially by Adobe. Check out this article:

Apple boss confronts rip-off claims - technology | Stuff.co.nz

Doug

AT&T is known for its high prices and ripoff schemes. I'm sad to hear Apple is following their lead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Going to work now but will comment when i get home. This subscribes me easy lol

But to the OP it is changing. On top of McYukon's link i have some others i will dig up later.
Put it this way, there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
It's the same for us in the UK:

iPad 2 retails at $499 in the US which equates to £305. In the UK it retails at £399. That's a wide difference, but when one takes shipping and taxes and exchange rates and blah blah, the cost is always going to increase when the product is further from its starting point.

Yes, I know components are built right across the world, but it still has to travel. Also there's local laws which must be abided, particularly tough laws in the electrically powered consumer goods market.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's the same for us in the UK:

iPad 2 retails at $499 in the US which equates to £305. In the UK it retails at £399. That's a wide difference, but when one takes shipping and taxes and exchange rates and blah blah, the cost is always going to increase when the product is further from its starting point.

And of course folks in the UK have the VAT to deal with (as well as other countries)...so that always increases the cost of items vs. countries without VAT.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
Indeed. Still, despite the gap in price, the products are still most definitely worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple is not the reason for complaint by me personally. If you want it buy it, if not don't bother.

What irks me is the price of memory etc from local dealers. Can purchase from say OWC, pay USPS first class air mail, receive goods within seven days and still costs half the price of local dealers. They may well bleat about online sales and poor business, but you have to put your product in the market place at a competitive price..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What irks me is the price of memory etc from local dealers.

Yeah...I remember what you've mentioned previously about ram prices in Australia. This is definitely something to be upset about. There's got to be an economically logical explanation for this sort of pricing.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I also don't like that we can't buy certain songs or episodes because we live in Oz as well.

ie: Bones is done and over with for season 6 yet I have to WAIT for each episode each week! I wanted to purchase an album but itunes yelled at me and said "Sorry, it's not available to you in Australia".... but every other album this singer has done IS?

Little things like that really make me miss the U.S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.