• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Play one video after the other in iDVD

Reaction score
How do I set up iDVD so that Movie B starts to play automatically after Movie A without returning to the menu? User clicks on Movie A and sees it and then Movie B and then is returned to menu.

The reason for this: I have a large iMovie project which iMovie cannot export to a single HD 1080p MOV file for import into iDVD. I now have to try spiltting my project into 2 or more parts and export a HD 1080p MOV file for each part. I then import the parts into iDVD and string them together so that they play as a single movie when the user clicks on Movie A.

I am running the latest version of iMovie11: 9.0.4 (1634) and iDVD 7.1.2 (1158). My raw project is 116 MB and 66min in size. I am working on a 15.4inch MacBook Pro I bought in Jan 2009 with the following spec: Mac OS X version 10.6.8, Processor is 3.06 GHz Intel Core2 Duo, Memory is 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 with 250GB solid state drive and 120GB free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Don't bother exporting your movie as a 1080p MOV file, because using iDVD, you can't burn an HD DVD.
To record moving pictures, DVD-Video uses either MPEG-2 compression at up to 9.8 Mbit/s (9,800 kbit/s) or MPEG-1 compression at up to 1.856 Mbit/s (1,856 kbit/s).

The following formats are allowed for MPEG-2 video:

At 25 frame/s, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 50 Hz image scanning frequency - PAL):

720 × 576 pixels (same resolution as D-1)
704 × 576 pixels
352 × 576 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)

At 29.97, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency - NTSC):

720 × 480 pixels (same resolution as D-1)
704 × 480 pixels
352 × 480 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)

The following formats are allowed for MPEG-1 video:

352 × 288 pixels at 25 frame/s, progressive (Same as the VCD Standard)
352 × 240 pixels at 29.97 frame/s, progressive (Same as the VCD Standard)
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll need something like Roxio's Toast if you want HD dvds.
Roxio Toast 11 Family - DVD Burning - Video Conversion - Music and Video Capture for Mac

If you want to stay with iDVD then just send it straight to iDVD using iMovie's Share menu. At 66 minutes, it will fit on a standard dvd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.