• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anti-Mac Work Colleague

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently bought the MBP and am loving my new computer! I've always had Windows computers since 1997 and love the features!

I have a need to vent. My work colleague ticked me off. Unfortunately he is an Apple hater. And I understand that everybody has an opinion but he got to me the other day.

I love Art and Design, I love simple things. I'm neat and tidy and i love my house to be clean and clutter free. When I look at Apple products two things come to mind - simple effective design and amazing marketing! I'm hooked by innovation and success and Apple exudes that!

But my colleague is bitter... all the time. He hates anything they do and laughs and sniggers. He said the iPad was a waste of money and went on an on and eventually I bought one because it fit my digital ebook reading need and the apps worked for me. Yes - I did pay for something that could have bought me a PC but I didn't want a PC.

My colleague sniggers when any news comes out. I just raise my eyebrows and choose not to say anything because his mind is made up. But recently I bought a MBP and it is very nice indeed! It meets my needs. First it's my personal computer. I have a house with three other computers and this puppy is mine! Second, I draw, paint and am generally artistic and want to continue my passion through design/illustrator/photography on a machine that uses gestures and swipes. Third, I had a company build me an app (Word Chaos) and now I have the source code and since my primary job is a developer it will enable and finally I bought it because I wanted it and I can afford it.

But what really ticked me off on this day, after I had the MBP on my desk at work was when he went on and on about how I paid four times as much for that computer and how it was a waste and pointless and that i must be stupid.

<sigh>

The thing is this guy is smart and the whole point of my vent is that I don't understand why some smart people who just hate other people/things... why? Jealous of their success? Jealous because it is cool and you have to pay a premium for something that looks good and works well? I don't know...

Anyone else ever had that happen to them?

Sam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
DOES NOT COMPUTE
windows-7-blue-screen-crash.gif

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The thing is this guy is smart and the whole point of my vent is that I don't understand why some smart people who just hate other people/things... why? Jealous of their success? Jealous because it is cool and you have to pay a premium for something that looks good and works well? I don't know...

Sam.

I find people like that are generally the immature, jealous type. We all make choices in the brands and types of products - why that matters to others, I have no idea. People don't criticize me for preferring Coke to Pepsi, or Hondas to Toyotas, polo shirts to button-down. Honestly I'd just tell him to get bent. Life's too short to get worked up about the little things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hey Guys,

I recently bought the MBP and am loving my new computer! I've always had Windows computers since 1997 and love the features!

I have a need to vent. My work colleague ticked me off. Unfortunately he is an Apple hater. And I understand that everybody has an opinion but he got to me the other day.

I love Art and Design, I love simple things. I'm neat and tidy and i love my house to be clean and clutter free. When I look at Apple products two things come to mind - simple effective design and amazing marketing! I'm hooked by innovation and success and Apple exudes that!

But my colleague is bitter... all the time. He hates anything they do and laughs and sniggers. He said the iPad was a waste of money and went on an on and eventually I bought one because it fit my digital ebook reading need and the apps worked for me. Yes - I did pay for something that could have bought me a PC but I didn't want a PC.

My colleague sniggers when any news comes out. I just raise my eyebrows and choose not to say anything because his mind is made up. But recently I bought a MBP and it is very nice indeed! It meets my needs. First it's my personal computer. I have a house with three other computers and this puppy is mine! Second, I draw, paint and am generally artistic and want to continue my passion through design/illustrator/photography on a machine that uses gestures and swipes. Third, I had a company build me an app (Word Chaos) and now I have the source code and since my primary job is a developer it will enable and finally I bought it because I wanted it and I can afford it.

But what really ticked me off on this day, after I had the MBP on my desk at work was when he went on and on about how I paid four times as much for that computer and how it was a waste and pointless and that i must be stupid.

<sigh>

Sam.

Just smile and say you wanted a tool to get the job done your way not his
and part to part comparison has proved them to be within the competitions price range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
DOES NOT COMPUTE
windows-7-blue-screen-crash.gif

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL........LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

I was just at a friends house, and we were getting his Alienware m17x ready to watch some movies on the tv. He sets it up, and turns it on. He was next to the tv plugging it in via the hdmi, and I was sitting on the couch with some other friends. Then, out of nowhere...BAM! the blue screen shows up for about 15 seconds, then shuts off. LOL. It was so random, that it even surprised me, because whenever I got that blue screen, it was *usually* caused by me being stupid. I got a good laugh out of it for a few minutes.

As for the hate, people will always hate something they fear, or believe is going against their thinking. It's all psychological, and is usually caused by parents, unfortunately. Computer hate is like one side of politics hating the other...you just gotta choose to steer away from lame arguments. Fortunately, there are very few valid reasons brought up from these usual "haters."
Example of what they think makes "PC's" better -- and my response:
-They can play more games -- I grew up a while ago.
I can build my own pc for less money -- same argument could be had for ANY -pc manufacturer.
-I can buy the same "stuff" for less at... -- Okay, then why are you making
such a big deal about it? Does someone who buys a hyundai argue to the guy
that bought a mercedes that his car can do the same for less? No!
-You got ripped off -- Insert many analogies of cars(mercedes/bmw/audi/lexus
to honda/kia/toyota/hyundai...etc)

The best thing to do when a situation arrises is to *fight* with facts. What I've noticed is that many people who hate Apple usually have a very misguided judgment towards what they do, how they do what they do, and how they operate in general. There are still morons out there that claim macs can't play games...sad...just shows how dumb they are.

But, I will leave it with this:
Forget(I so wanted to use a better word for this...just use your own imagination and replace it) what other people say! I buy what I want to buy because what I buy is what I want to own and spend my hard earned money on. If you wish for me to own something else, by all means, buy it for me and I will claim to "use it." Until then, shut it. There are much more important thing to worry about than to waste your life worrying about why so-and-so has that mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just ignore him and move on. To some computers are as important as religion and look at the trouble that has created in the world!

Reaction score
You pay a fair bit for Mac's, but remind you colleague that when it's time to upgrade in a few years, a PC laptop will be worthless and destined for landfill, you'll still be able to sell yours for $1000... thus the cost issue is void.

Set up an 'in office' tally board for the amount of errors, prompts, glitches, freezes, and general operating issues - Mac vs PC. You cannot lose, i'd be surprised if you even register one issue.

Thirdly, tell him to get a life. If he wants to tell you how to spend your money he obviously lives in a very small world and his hand is his first and only girlfriend. The only people that hate Macs are those that have never had to use one - if he's prepared to hate them without having spend a second on one, he's a tool. Don't waste your energy justifying your purchase to him. Remind him he's too old to still be playing games anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 MacBook Pro 13 Inch
Your always going to find the Mac haters somewhere but the best thing to do would just be ignoring him or agreeing with him. What can he say if you are in agreement with him constantly. But a good comeback to a Windows user is generally to make fun of that stupid dancing paperclip (I swear it hates me) or mention the fact that it was made by the same company that brought us the "amazing" ripoff the zune. How many of your friends have one of those. :p Anyways you should go with the ignoring and the rest is only for emergencies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I don't understand why some smart people who just hate other people/things... why? Jealous of their success? Jealous because it is cool and you have to pay a premium for something that looks good and works well? I don't know...

Sam.

For the same reason other's think they are better. It's human nature. Why do you care?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Smile and walk away. You know why you love your Apple. If someone else does not, that's their problem!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Thanks to everybody for your replies. You make some great points!

I probably posted because I want people to agree with me but more to vent.

I wish everybody well.

Sam.

Reaction score
I used to be anti Mac. I used to think they were overpriced fluff. However, since doing more research, apple has their preverbal stuff together. Every item works with every other item. I was using google android, zune players and pcs. Ms zune software would crash my pc. Awesome considering it's a ms product. That was it. I ditched the microshaft parts for good. I'm typing this on my iphone4 and could not be happier. iOS is tight where droid is sloppy and slow. Your colleege just needs to wake up and smell the aluminum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I love threads like this, bc it really slams home to me you really can't do or say anything to ignorant people like that bc they will always have a answer and they aren't worth the time of day.
If he really was that smart, he would realise that there will be peoples difference of opinion and that is life.

Smile and ignore him is the best medicine :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.