• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Imovie exports to itunes instead of my desktop! ***!

Reaction score
I tried to export my imovie project/film to my desktop. It specifically gave me that option. But when I looked for it I could not find it. When I used Searchlight I found it in itunes.

***? I don't want it in itunes, why would I? I don't even see a way in itunes to export it to Facebook and youtube, which is what I simply wanted to do. Why would it choose to do this stupid thing on its own (was it simply because itunes was open at the time?) without asking?

Help : (((( people are waiting for this awesome clip of a red squirrel taking a spaz!

C

chas_m

iMovie doesn't export to iTunes unless you either tell it to (under the "Share" menu) or (much more likely) you selected the "Media Browser" option, which makes the movie available to other iLife apps (like iTunes).

To export to YouTube or Facebook, just open iMovie again, select the project, and use the "Share" menu and select YouTube (and let that export) and then Facebook (and let that export).

Under that same menu, you'll see a *different* option to export ("Export Movie" or command-e). From THERE you have to choose size and location (like desktop), but of course you'll have already sent the movie where you wanted it to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Why would you want it on your desktop? Just for quiker access, then just drag the file right onto your desktop.

OP
U
Reaction score
I have read that there are problems exporting directly to FB and youtube so I just wanted to do it directly from the desktop. Also I thought that was how to be able to make a copy for a DVD. But I see there is an option for iDVD directly. The only reason to make a desktop copy is in order to email it to someone, I guess??

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
A video is likely to be FAR too big to email. I know what you mean about Facebook. The dialogue box that comes up doesn't accept my Facebook details, so I go via the desktop.

OP
U
Reaction score
Ok I believe it worked for youtube but there is no option in my imovie for Facebook. Is it maybe that I need an upgrade? Is Facebook a recent feature?

I have imovie '09 8.0.6.

tx!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.