Two underrated browsers/Omniweb and Camino!?!?

Reaction score
Did a little bit of exploring for free web browsers and found two I never heard of before; Omniweb and Camino. I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about these browsers on Mac-Forums. Is there anyone else who uses either of these two browsers? Also, what are the pros and cons of each? They seem to work very well for me and it is interesting learning the different layouts. Any input on these two browsers would be deeply appreciated.

May God Bless!

Ed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Both have been discussed here many times over the years. OmniWeb though is not talked about very much anymore. Camino is a Native OSX browser designed by Mozilla so it uses the same engine as Firefox. Only thing is that Camino is very behind in development and has not been updated in a while.

I used to use Camino back in the 10.3 days in fact but switched to Safari and kept using it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@ronin67:

If you haven't already tried it, give Opera a look. It's a nice browser that has been around for many years. I used it extensively when running Windows - back when it was pay ware. I keep it handy as a second browser to Safari.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Opera is an excellent browser. Agree with Chscag. I have used it for many years even back on OS2 and early Macs and always loved it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Didn't know you were an OS/2 user. :) Great OS, too bad IBM abandoned it after all the in fighting with Microsoft. I remember having a copy of Warp 2 for awhile. I also know some folks who still use OS/2 to run their bulletin board software. Most folks don't know that some of the old BBS's are still around.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't know you were an OS/2 user. :) Great OS, too bad IBM abandoned it after all the in fighting with Microsoft. I remember having a copy of Warp 2 for awhile. I also know some folks who still use OS/2 to run their bulletin board software. Most folks don't know that some of the old BBS's are still around.

Started with OS2 2.5 then bought Warp 3 when it first came out. In the end got Warp 4 but by then it was dying. Loved that OS. So stable.

BBS? I was/am the Sysop of The Connection BBS here in Modesto calif. Ran it non stop from late 1991 till 2001 then when I moved here to this place put it back up Telnet. Its' still around but down right now. I used OS2 for the OS on my BBS almost to the end. The thing never crashed. What can I say.:D CWA is another BBS sysop here. I was also a Hub for Fidonet in the 1.209 area. I am still on some Fidonet node lists. Most here will not remember Fidonet, but before the Internet really took off, it was a large system that sent mail all over the world.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The only problem with Camino is the glacial development speed. As it is now, the most recent stable version of Camino (2.0.7) uses the same rendering engine that Mozilla shipped with Firefox 3 which was released more than three years ago. Their testing version right now is better but only brings in the version of Gecko (Mozilla's rendering/layout engine) that was used in Firefox 3.6 which was released more than a year and a half ago. So, this means that when the Camino devs finally release 2.1, it will already be at least a year and a half behind in terms of standards support. So, my recommendation would be to use Firefox if you really want to use a Mozilla browser.

As for OmniWeb, I've never really used it so I'll pass on making a judgment. I will however echo the support for Opera made by chscag and dtravis7 - it's an excellent browser.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed with Van 100%! Camino could be an excellent browser if they would just ramp up the development a bit. I just downloaded and installed the lasted beta. It's nice but so old and such an old version of the engine. Sun Spider here was close to 1000ms Vs under 300 with FF6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.