adding more songs to a cd-r

Reaction score
Hi
Can someone please tell me how to burn additional music on a cd-r? I know I cannot not erase what I have but I only have like 2-3 songs on a cd-r when I was just starting. I believe there is a way to add more just not sure how. I have a G5 Mac.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
can't do it. once you burn the disc in iTunes it is finalized so you can't add any more

OP
S
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
can't do it. once you burn the disc in iTunes it is finalized so you can't add any more

Hi
Can you tell me what multisession is then? I thought this was about adding more info later on. I guess I was wrong.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
a CD-RW or CD+RW can be written to many times, a CD-R or CD+R can only be written to once

B

Badger

Multi-session is exactly what you want to do but you'll need software like Toast (or other CD software). Apple has yet to implement multi-session capability in its programs. You can also check here: http://www.pure-mac.com/diskfile.html. There are several programs which can make multi-session disks. (BurnAgain seems to be what you want and it's reasonable in cost.)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi
Can someone explain this to me then? I found it on the help menu.

I don't quite understand the part about that the files must be Mac OSX extended format.

Recording on a recordable disc more than once
Normally, you can burn items to a recordable disc, such as a CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-RW, only one time. However, if you use Disk Utility to burn the disc, you can burn items to a disk in more than one session as long as space is available. This is also called multisession burning.

In Disk Utility, create a disk image that contains the files you want to burn to the disc.
The files must be from a volume with a Mac OS Extended disk format. To check a volume's disk format, select the disk in Disk Utility and look at the information at the bottom of the Disk Utility window.

Select the disk image in the Disk Utility list and choose Images > Burn.
Select the "Leave disc appendable" checkbox. If you don't see this option, click the triangle in the top-right corner.
Insert a blank recordable disc in the optical drive, and click Burn.
To add more files to the disc later, follow the steps above. You can continue this process until all available space on the disc is used.

B

Badger

Extended format is the standard for OS X and is usable in some earlier systems (OS 8.1 and later) as well. You set this in a pop-up window as you create the disk image. The easiest way to do this is to make a practice image. Open Disk Utility and click on the button that says New Image. A window will pop up and you'll enter a name, the size you want and the format. Once you've done those steps click create. Now drag the data -music, files, folders etc - you want to burn into the disk image. Check Leave Appendable so you will be able to add more data later. Once that is done you can burn the image to a CD. (If you are just practicing you can trash the image now.) You'll have to repeat this process every time you want to add data. Once you've created a couple of test images and you're comfortable with Disk Utility you can burn a CD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi
Ok I am still trying to do this. I got to the part where I name and I entered Misc. Music. Then for the size I put custum because my CD-R was not listed, it is 700 mb. Then I put the format as read and write, (is this correct?). Then I hit create and the file was on the left hand side of the disk utility. I am not sure where I go to drag my music. I want them from itunes but when I open itunes and drag the song I want to the area where it says to drag it won't accept. It just bounces over back to the itunes. Can you please elaborate this for me? I am pretty new to this as you can tell. Thanks for your help.

B

Badger

Sonogirl, I apologize. I just tried this method myself and realized that multisession CDs created by Disk Utility work only for storage not for music CDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.