5.1 surround sound

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to mac-forum so forgive me if I write in the wrong forum etc.
I was wondering if there is an easy and free (or at least cheap) way to change the out-put of my imac to 5.1. surround.
I have a 27" imac 2.66 intel core i5, 4gb ddr3 and I use a Logitec X-530 which doesn't have an optical connection. I searched the forum and the net. The only way seems to be to change the speakers or get an external sound card.

Thanks

Cavez

C

chas_m

As you probably already know, your Mac is perfectly capable of outputting OPTICAL 5.1 surround, but since you don't have an optical connection I would guess Bob's right as usual.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks guys. I think for the price I'm probably better off selling my speakers and get a new set with optical output. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a proper audio setup for my mac? (Amplifier, sound card for recording also and speakers?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.