• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This seems a bit overboard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm not trying to weigh in on one side or the other, but I'm sure the first time Police in riot gear showed up, people thought it was excessive or whatever. I'm not saying PM Cameron is right or wrong... just saying public safety and government will always change/adapt along with developing technology.

Amber alerts, reverse 911 calls, Twitter town hall events, lo jack, upcoming 911 text messaging, etc. etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Reminds me of what was(is) happening in the middle east...that says a lot!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
"Free flow of information can be used for good. But it can also be used for ill." - The free speech advocates are going to have a field day with this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
News report tonight said 1 in 10 retail establishments have been victimized by flash mob shoplifting. Some of them turn violent. The reaction by law enforcement so far has not kept up with this new trend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
In the USA, POTUS can shut down the internet for up to 120 days without Congressional approval for National Security. There is also a pending bill that would allow DHS to do the same, independent of POTUS or Congress. I guess the moral is, if things get really dicey, don't think that you can rely on electronic communications like Skype or Vonage, or on the internet for information like first aid, water purification, weather, etc... I'm sure any country would do this if conditions were right. As they say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I want to slap him in his **** smarmy face.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In the USA, POTUS can shut down the internet for up to 120 days without Congressional approval for National Security. There is also a pending bill that would allow DHS to do the same, independent of POTUS or Congress.

From what I can tell reading around the web, it is possible but not at all clear if they could turn it off completely or simply fragment it at best. Killing the local access from cell phone companies would be far easier than severing all the lines it seems. ISPs could do it but there is no real "master kill switch" and forcing a company like Time Warner or VZW to terminate all services might be more difficult here than elsewhere.

What the successfulness or impact of such an action would be is debatable and would, IMO, serve to only anger what one could assume would be an already angry populace.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Tough call all around. Personal freedoms always take a hit when public security becomes an issue.
In the end it comes down to the people to settle things, there are never enough police to force peace if the populace have collectively decided to ignore laws and societal norms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 2.5 GHz,8 GB Ram
You can understand his thinking, but i doubt it will come to any effect. There would be too much of an outcry from the general public based on what a (in proportion) small amount of people have done. No there has to be another way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Tough call all around. Personal freedoms always take a hit when public security becomes an issue.

+1 When I look at the DHS, TSA and ATF, I have to wonder if Bin Laden didn't really come out as "the winner".

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
+1 When I look at the DHS, TSA and ATF, I have to wonder if Bin Laden didn't really come out as "the winner".

To be fair, the ATF was a bunch of goons long before 9/11.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.