Browser

Reaction score
Safari is not quite as robust as I would like. For example, I would like to have more cookie and privacy control. I would like to configure block/accept cookies for sites and turn on/off popups for sites (maybe have trusted sites). I am use to having these features in IE8. Do I need a different browser? (I use Atomic Browser on my iPad/iPhone.)

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Did you try looking in Safari's Preferences? There's a section called Privacy where it looks like you can manage which cookies from which sites you want to keep or trash. If you have AdBlocker enabled, there's a section where you can manage pop up filters. Not sure if you need more control than that.

Maybe someone else here can tell you if there are more ways to control cookies and such in Safari, but you can use any browser you want. Firefox seems to be a steady choice for Mac users.

C

chas_m

Agreed. You don't HAVE to use Safari by any means, but almost everything you're asking for is, in fact, built into the program. Cookie management is there, Private Browsing is there, cache control is there -- basically all you need is an ad blocker (with optional whitelist) and maybe a Flash-disabler and you're more than good to go.

BTW, the "block pop-ups" command built into the program may seem kind of generic, but it does NOT block pop-ups that you specifically click to get, only the ones that come without user action.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As noted above, there's no reason you need to stick with Safari. A significant portion of us here, for instance, do not use it (or at least use it as our main browser). Since all the major browsers are free, give them each a try and decide for yourself. Some ones to consider: Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

OP
M
Reaction score
I use Safari with MobileMe for bookmark syncing. I like that feature. Will FireFox provide me with better security/privacy features? Will FireFox sync bookmarks via MobileMe?

Privacy has a means to look at the cookies already accepted. However, I want a feature that allows me to always block/accept cookies for specific sites. Also, I would like Safari to ask me whether to accept all cookies. I cannot find anyway to manage cookies. Are there any extensions that will do that?

I do see anywhere that allows me to turn AdBlocker on/off? Shift-Command-K allows me to turn off the pop-up blocked manually. I was trying to get CitiCard to popup Virtual Card and it would not popup the window until I manually turned off the Popup Blocker. I.e., I did not get the automatic acceptance of a popup window.

Thank you for the suggestions.

C

chas_m

I use Safari with MobileMe for bookmark syncing. I like that feature. Will FireFox provide me with better security/privacy features? Will FireFox sync bookmarks via MobileMe?

No and no.

Privacy has a means to look at the cookies already accepted. However, I want a feature that allows me to always block/accept cookies for specific sites. Also, I would like Safari to ask me whether to accept all cookies. I cannot find anyway to manage cookies. Are there any extensions that will do that?

Yes.

I do see anywhere that allows me to turn AdBlocker on/off? Shift-Command-K allows me to turn off the pop-up blocked manually.

I specifically mentioned that ad blockers (the generic term) are third-party items (extensions). So if you have one installed as an extension, you can turn it off by opening the preferences panel for Safari, choosing Extensions, selecting the given extension and disabling it. If the adblocker you've chosen has a whitelist of sites where you will accept ads (like this one!), there's usually a key combination or right-click command that lets you do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.