!!help!!please!!help!!

C

cYnYc

i have an iMac with os 9.2.2, no discs, no literature, no clue. thats how I got it. problem is, it's got some major issues with apps. crashing midway, barely stays on the internet with dsl, and the biggie- everything seems to freeze in time for about 10-15 seconds, and then come back to life....ALOT. every program it seems. I cant make heads or tails of the 'software?' I have downloaded cuz the seem to turn into .dmg documents after what appears to be something opening and running it. I am lost with this mac, nothing like windows which always has some avenue of recourse when all else fails. So, WHAT DO I DO? is there something that I can download that will get me out of this quandry????? and how would I go about executing it/them if there is???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Alright - I'd see if you can get your hands on a copy of OS X 10.3 (often called 'Panther').
It is a lot easier to use than OS 9 IMO.

As for your software downloads: You are downloading disk images (.dmg files) and they contain the programs. Just frag/copy those to your Applications folder and then eject the disk images and trash them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually the dmg files will not work with OS 9 as far as I know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
cYnYc said:
i have an iMac with os 9.2.2, no discs, no literature, no clue. thats how I got it. problem is, it's got some major issues with apps. crashing midway, barely stays on the internet with dsl, and the biggie- everything seems to freeze in time for about 10-15 seconds, and then come back to life....ALOT. every program it seems. I cant make heads or tails of the 'software?' I have downloaded cuz the seem to turn into .dmg documents after what appears to be something opening and running it. I am lost with this mac, nothing like windows which always has some avenue of recourse when all else fails. So, WHAT DO I DO? is there something that I can download that will get me out of this quandry????? and how would I go about executing it/them if there is???????
Make sure any software you download is compatible with OS 9. It's getting hard to find these days, since most software requires Mac OS X.

Under OS 9, there's a good chance you have an extensions conflict causing your crashing/stability issues. Google for "Mac extensions conflict" to get some HOWTOs on solving those.

Alternatively, re-install the OS...a fresh OS 9 install should fix most proglems. Seriously consider OS X if the Mac has enough memory (>256)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.