Some questions on using multiple displays.

Reaction score
I just started a new job in which I will be using a MacBook Pro to do some development work. I have never used a Mac as a primary machine, but I have supported them in a previous IT job.

I have two monitors: an LCD I use as my primary display, and the display on the Macbook itself. I would like to know if there are any equivalents to the following windows 7 keyboard shortcuts:

Windows+Up = Maximize
Windows+Right = Move focused window right one display
Windows+Left = Move focused window left one display
Shift+Home = select text to the beginning of the line
Shift+End = select text to the end of the line

Also, since I am using a keyboard designed for windows, is there a way to change the copy/cut/paste commands to use Ctrl instead of 'command'?

OP
D
Reaction score
Update: I actually found a tool called "Right Zoom" that actually maximizes windows. So, that problem is solved. I still need to figure out a way to quickly make windows move to different displays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Update: I actually found a tool called "Right Zoom" that actually maximizes windows. So, that problem is solved. I still need to figure out a way to quickly make windows move to different displays.

Do you want it to move quicker than dragging it to the other display...? That's what I usually do when I want a window from one display to another.:|

Might want to us BetterSnapTool. You can drag the window to the edge, wait half a second, and the window will move to another space. It also maximize windows so you can drag the window to another display and maximize with one continuos move.

OP
D
Reaction score
Do you want it to move quicker than dragging it to the other display...? That's what I usually do when I want a window from one display to another.:|

Might want to us BetterSnapTool. You can drag the window to the edge, wait half a second, and the window will move to another space.

Yes, I am looking for speed. I do a lot of my work in a terminal (with my hands on the keyboard) and it's a huge pain to have to use a mouse for these things.

A second or two might not sound like much - but it really adds up when you have to do these things every minute or two in a 9-hour workday.

Alas, I found a program that solves all my problems, called SnapUp, or SnapZoom, or something of the like. It was $13, and I bought it in a heartbeat. Even if I lose one second every two minutes, it would pay for itself in less than two weeks. I hope apple considers making these standard features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Keep in mind that although Mac apps can now go full screen without the need for a tool like Right Zoom, you won't be able to use an external monitor to extend your desktop. For some reason, whenever you make an application full screen on the external display, it shifts back to the Macbook screen. Under Lion that is. If the Macbook is running a previous version of OS X, you'll be able to have things in full screen on the external monitor while keeping your own windows open on the Macbook screen.

C

chas_m

Even Lion's full-screen feature (which works great, btw) is so far only applicable to Apple's own and some Lion-aware third-party apps. It will grow to be a standard option in time, of course, but for now I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Keep in mind that although Mac apps can now go full screen without the need for a tool like Right Zoom, you won't be able to use an external monitor to extend your desktop. For some reason, whenever you make an application full screen on the external display, it shifts back to the Macbook screen. Under Lion that is. If the Macbook is running a previous version of OS X, you'll be able to have things in full screen on the external monitor while keeping your own windows open on the Macbook screen.

This is because the fullscreen will default to which ever display has the system tool bar. To change that, the next time when the external is hooked up, under System Preference>Display>Arrangement, move the white bar that represent the system tool bar, to the thumbnail of the external display. This will set the external display as main. Your fullscreen apps will default to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
That only makes it work in reverse. The external display goes full screen, but then the Macbook display just shows the gray linen screen. There's no way to have an application in full screen on one monitor and have all your other open applications remain on the other. One of my complaints about Lion. I hope they restore this function soon. I used it all the time before.

iNB

Reaction score
Hmm, perhaps it depends on the application then.

I have XBMC configured to start in full screen on my second display when my mac boots (I can then use my iPod touch as a remote). My main iMac screen looks and works normally with the mouse and keybaord. This is using Lion.

I've only had a mac for a few weeks, so if I'm missing something obvious then please excuse my ignorance :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.