• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD Compatibility Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I am relatively new to the whole movie-making process on the modern mac, and made a short movie (about 4 mins) in iMovie HD, and then added a menu and burned it to a DVD using iDVD ver 5.0.1. The DVD plays just fine on my computer.

HOWEVER, when I went to my friend's house to show him, his computer would only play the video, not the audio. I tried it on my old PC laptop (about 4 years old with DVD ROM drive) and it didn't recognize the disk at all. I have yet to try it on a standalone DVD player, but I am not optimistic after that experience.

Is there a way to burn more widely compatible DVDs? I like my movie, and would really like to give copies to some of my friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd try using different media: Since it's an older laptop, chances are it doesn't know DVD+R yet. (There are 2 types of rewritable DVD's: DVD+R & DVD-R)
Compatibility can also differ from brand to brand.
I've had a lot of luck with Phillips and Sony, but maybe try to find a compatibility chart somewhere, or just buy single discs and give each brand a whirl before buying bulk.

Reaction score
Ac3

In my experience It is most likely to be the lack of Dolby AC3 encoding for the audio in iDVD that is causing the problem.
I have to go out now so maybe someone else may be able to give you more in depth info on this.

Steve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.