Problems with partitioning HD

Reaction score
I have osx lion and im trying to install Windows 7. the boot camp assistant is not letting me partition the hard drive and keep getting this message...Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again. i have backed up using time machine umpteen times have gone so far as to defrag the hd, repair disk permissions, ect ect. i am able to partition the hd outside of boot camp.

my first attempt at partitioning the hd the computer froze so i had to kill it.

any help would be wonderful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

How is the drive formatted? Mac OS Extended and in one single partition now set to GUID?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can't read however if it is in only one partition, but it does seem to be in two partitions. Let BootCamp Assistant handle the partitioning and don't you do it. Print out the instructions and follow them.

OP
M
Reaction score
thats the problem boot camp will not partition
Keep getting this--- Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.
is this saying to format (wipe) the drive and start over?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your drive clearly shows it's partitioned into two partitions. Boot your machine with the Lion DVD and use Disk Utility to first remove that second partition and then drag the partition line from the first partition until it fills the entire drive. Then reboot and try again.

OP
M
Reaction score
only problem with that is that i do not have the dvd- i did the digital download from the app store

Reaction score
Same problem but from an upgrade to Lion

Hi guys, glad this issue was posted again today, I am having the same problem and my disk utility looks the same (saying 1 partition but looking like 2), only difference is that I don't have a Lion DVD as it was an upgrade from 10.6. Do you have advice on how to solve in this case?

Apple imac 27" 2010
OS 10.7 (upgrade from 10.6.8)
Approx 350GB space on HD and wanting to partition in Bootcamp assistant to 100 WIN / 250GB MAC.

Thanks
Chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Harry, right click on the image and open in new Tab. Then you can read it. It's ONE partition. That Blue is what it looks like with the GUID partition and its showing the data on the drive.

Here is what 2 GUID partitions look like. My drive split in half for Lion and SL.

Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 6.56.12 PM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Usually that issue in Bootcamp not being able to make the Partition for Windows is the drives data is very fragmented and can't be moved. The OP said he tried defrag. I only had it once but I backed up, erased and re-imaged and it worked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just opened the image in a new tab to get a better look (thanks to dtravis7 for reminding me).

Your recovery partition is hidden so we can't take a chance and adjust the MacIntosh HD to fill the entire drive without possibly destroying the recovery partition. Otherwise I would suggest using your Snow Leopard DVD to boot with and adjust the partition accordingly.

Reaction score
Back up and reboot with 10.6 or 10.7?

"I just opened the image in a new tab to get a better look (thanks to dtravis7 for reminding me).

Your recovery partition is hidden so we can't take a chance and adjust the MacIntosh HD to fill the entire drive without possibly destroying the recovery partition. Otherwise I would suggest using your Snow Leopard DVD to boot with and adjust the partition accordingly."

----------------------------------------

So would backing up the system and rebooting with the 10.6 disk work if the computer has been upgraded to 10.7 Lion? I'm just a bit apprehensive to reboot at all and want to make sure I dom the right thing to get the partitioning to work.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a good idea to back everything up anyway, however, even booting with the Snow Leopard DVD and doing the partition adjustment will probably destroy the Lion Recovery partition.

I honestly don't know of another way to set things straight without starting over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.