Thinking of switching back after 6 years

A

AlyCat

Hi, I was a Mac user since the old Mac Plus days...had a 75MG Power PC in the 90s and had to switch to PC for business. At that time my Mac couldn't read the Java script to access my (Real Estate) MLS site. I'm using the first PC I ever purchased, an HP Pavilion w/ Celeron processor (that still works!) until I decide what to do.

My HP laptop just bit the dust (was a bit of a lemon from the get-go) and I'm entertaining the thought of getting an ibook. I'm tired of viruses and all that crap...

I'll be having to read scripts in MarketLinx or Realtracs (does anyone know about that?) and I am not sure if it will read in IE at this time - I heard no from a local comp tech. My clients/associates are usually PC users and I sometimes have to send WORD documents and other PC related files. I also do my own graphics (used to be a comm. artist in a previous life). Does anyone have any advice for me on these things and suggestions on the best notebook for my needs? Would Virtual PC be worth purchasing? Does anyone have a used, loaded, G4 to sell? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 512k, 60gb, 4 widgets.
I don't know about those specific applicatiions- but as for filesharing with PC folks- well, this iBook is my first Apple since my youth, and after nosing around, I don't think that's going to be a problem. Much of Appleworks seems to recognize and save as in formats your PC pals will recognize, and there IS the ooption of purchasing Microsoft Office 2004 in case what comes standard isn't enough.

As for the first "stuff" you mentioned- I truly dunno! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
AlyCat said:
I'll be having to read scripts in MarketLinx or Realtracs (does anyone know about that?) and I am not sure if it will read in IE at this time - I heard no from a local comp tech.
On your PC, can you use these systems with Firefox, Opera, and other browsers besides IE? If you can, there's a good chance they're "standards-based" and will work on a Mac. You might then try to beg/borrow/steal a Mac to test with before you buy.
My clients/associates are usually PC users and I sometimes have to send WORD documents and other PC related files. I also do my own graphics (used to be a comm. artist in a previous life).
Word on the Mac works just fine.
Does anyone have any advice for me on these things and suggestions on the best notebook for my needs? Would Virtual PC be worth purchasing? Does anyone have a used, loaded, G4 to sell? Thanks in advance.
VirtualPC is not the most elegant solution. It works, but most of the time it's a poor substitute for an actual Windows PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.